Solve the 2011-Point Resistance Challenge!

In summary, the conversation is about a fun physics question that involves finding the net resistance between two points with 2011 randomly chosen points and a resistance R connected between every possible pair of points. The person who posted the question does not want anyone to post the solution, but is encouraging discussion and sharing of thoughts.
ashishsinghal
This is a fun question I found and wanted to share. Please, do not bother to tell me that I need to post equations or show my attempt as I have solved it myself. As I liked this question I am sharing it on PF.
Here it goes:

There are 2011 points randomly chosen and a resistance R is connected between every possible pair of points. Any two points are taken and marked as a and b. Find net resistance between a and b.

Do not right the solutions so as to preserve the question.:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Here 2011 is taken to mark the year that's all...

Hey, come on has no one try to do this question. Or is it that no is posting any comment?
I thought it would be fun...

Well, you said not to post the answer, so what exactly do you want?

mmm... it's a very beautiful problem.
I have come to the solution, but it's quite hard to break down.
I think many people here wants to have their homework done, that's it.
Anyway, once you "see" how the current splits in the branches, it looks very "amazing".
I'm tempted to write the solution, I'm not even sure it's correct, btw.

I think I saw it again time ago, but I didn't got any solution at that time.

Thank you... nice food for thoughts (it took me one hour !).

brocks said:
Well, you said not to post the answer, so what exactly do you want?

Well, I asked not to post a solution. You can post your answer with a spoiler alert wrapped over it.

It is like a riddle closely related to the subject. So I could not find any place better than this. The main reason why I am urging to post is that without posts the thread will be soon lost and I wanted the question to spread. For the sake of Physics...:smile:

1. What is the 2011-Point Resistance Challenge?

The 2011-Point Resistance Challenge is a scientific problem that involves finding the resistance of a material with 2011 evenly spaced points along its length. It is a hypothetical challenge that requires advanced mathematical and scientific skills to solve.

2. What is the purpose of the 2011-Point Resistance Challenge?

The purpose of the 2011-Point Resistance Challenge is to test the limits of scientific knowledge and problem-solving abilities. It also serves as a way to stimulate critical thinking and innovation in the scientific community.

3. How can I approach solving the 2011-Point Resistance Challenge?

Solving the 2011-Point Resistance Challenge requires a combination of theoretical knowledge, mathematical skills, and experimentation. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and break it down into smaller, solvable parts. Collaborating with other scientists and utilizing various resources can also be helpful in finding a solution.

4. Has anyone successfully solved the 2011-Point Resistance Challenge?

As of now, there is no record of anyone successfully solving the 2011-Point Resistance Challenge. It remains an unsolved problem and continues to challenge scientists and researchers worldwide.

5. Are there any rewards for solving the 2011-Point Resistance Challenge?

The 2011-Point Resistance Challenge is not associated with any formal rewards or prizes. However, the satisfaction of solving a complex scientific problem and contributing to the advancement of knowledge is a reward in itself.