Solving Tricky Algebraic Equation: Tips and Attempt at Solution

• Thread starter SithsNGiggles
  • Start date
In summary: Maybe I'll need help with that.In summary, the equation has a quartic root in x and can be solved for x2.
SithsNGiggles

Homework Statement

I'm helping a friend out with an optimization problem, and I wound up with a tricky equation in which I have to solve for x. Is there a particular way to go about doing this?

[itex]4x^2 - 2x \sqrt{r^2 - x^2} - 2r^2 = 0[/itex],

where [itex]r[/itex] is a positive constant.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I've only typed the equation into WolframAlpha, but the solution they provide is beyond my understanding.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you want to solve for x in terms of r?

Put the sqrt on the other side of the eqn and square both sides, should be able to do it from there.

Gravitational said:
Do you want to solve for x in terms of r?
Yes.
Bread18 said:
Put the sqrt on the other side of the eqn and square both sides, should be able to do it from there.
Oh, I don't know why I hadn't considered that. Unfortunately, after simplifying it a bit, I'm still not sure how to solve for x:
[itex]4x^2 - 2x\sqrt{r^2 - x^2} - 2r^2 = 0[/itex]
[itex]2x^2 - x\sqrt{r^2 - x^2} - r^2 = 0[/itex]
[itex]2x^2 - r^2 = x\sqrt{r^2 - x^2}[/itex]
[itex](2x^2 - r^2)^2 = (x\sqrt{r^2 - x^2})^2[/itex]
[itex]4x^4 - 4x^2r^2 + r^4 = x^2 (r^2 - x^2)[/itex]
[itex]4x^4 - 4x^2r^2 + r^4 = x^2r^2 - x^4[/itex]
[itex]5x^4 - 5x^2r^2 + r^4 = 0[/itex]

SithsNGiggles said:

Homework Statement

I'm helping a friend out with an optimization problem, and I wound up with a tricky equation in which I have to solve for x. Is there a particular way to go about doing this?

[itex]4x^2 - 2x \sqrt{r^2 - x^2} - 2r^2 = 0[/itex],

where [itex]r[/itex] is a positive constant.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I've only typed the equation into WolframAlpha, but the solution they provide is beyond my understanding.

Bring the term with the square root to the RHS. Square both sides. You should now have a quartic in x, which is actually a quadratic in x2. Solve for x2. At this stage, put the values of x2 you get back into the original equation to ensure they satisfy the original problem. Squaring equations may introduce redundant roots.

Finally, take square roots to get x.

SithsNGiggles said:
Yes.

Oh, I don't know why I hadn't considered that. Unfortunately, after simplifying it a bit, I'm still not sure how to solve for x:

As I wrote, quartic in x, but a quadratic in x2. To make it clearer, let x2 = y and solve for y.

Put [itex]y=x^2[/itex] then you get a quadratic equation.

SithsNGiggles said:
Yes.

Now substitute u=x^2 and you have a quadratic equation in u. You can solve that, right?

Ah, thanks. Making that kind of substitution isn't as second-nature as it should be.

What is a tricky algebraic equation?

A tricky algebraic equation is an equation that involves variables, constants, and mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It may also contain exponents, logarithms, and other advanced mathematical concepts.

Why are algebraic equations considered tricky?

Algebraic equations can be considered tricky for a few reasons. They often involve multiple steps and can be challenging to solve. Additionally, some equations may have multiple solutions or no solution at all, making them even more difficult to solve.

What strategies can I use to solve tricky algebraic equations?

There are several strategies you can use to solve tricky algebraic equations. These include simplifying the equation by combining like terms, using inverse operations to isolate the variable, and using the quadratic formula for equations with variables raised to the second power.

Can I check my answer to a tricky algebraic equation?

Yes, it is always a good idea to check your answer to a tricky algebraic equation. You can do this by plugging your solution back into the original equation and verifying that it satisfies the equation.

Where can I find practice problems for tricky algebraic equations?

You can find practice problems for tricky algebraic equations in math textbooks, online resources, or by asking your teacher or tutor for additional practice problems. It is also helpful to create your own practice problems by manipulating equations and solving for different variables.