Tricky circular area math problem from the GRE

In summary: I thought they were saying that if you move the smaller shaded area into the larger circle, you get the intersection of two circles. Then they said that it's intuitively obvious that it is x - y if you move the smaller shaded area into the other circle. Maybe they meant that if you move the smaller shaded area into any other circle, you get the intersection of two circles? Not sure how that works...In summary, this problem is tricky and if anyone can help Matt out he would greatly appreciate it.
mgier001
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this problem from the GRE practice exam:

image.jpg

I honestly don't know how to go about solving it. I'm guessing that the answer is either B or D, however I know that in this GRE exam you can never guess... My friends think the answer is B but I have not been able to come up with any logical reasoning behind any of the answer choices.
This problem is tricky so if anyone can help me through it I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks,
-Matt

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this thread misposted? I'm not sure if this problem would fall under a homework/coursework category since it technically is not homework or coursework... :\

mgier001 said:
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this problem from the GRE practice exam:

image.jpg

I honestly don't know how to go about solving it. I'm guessing that the answer is either B or D, however I know that in this GRE exam you can never guess... My friends think the answer is B but I have not been able to come up with any logical reasoning behind any of the answer choices.
This problem is tricky so if anyone can help me through it I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks,
-Matt
The area of each circle is ##x##. The intersection of two circles has area ##y##. The intersection of all three has area ##z##. Quantity A is given by ##y+(x-2y-z)##. What does this tell you?

mgier001 said:
Is this thread misposted? I'm not sure if this problem would fall under a homework/coursework category since it technically is not homework or coursework... :\
Technically, I think this goes under homework.

Likes 1 person
Mandelbroth said:
The area of each circle is ##x##. The intersection of two circles has area ##y##. The intersection of all three has area ##z##. Quantity A is given by ##y+(x-2y-z)##. What does this tell you?

Technically, I think this goes under homework.

Well the area of each circle x=40, and intersection y=15. However, z is not given. I would guess z to be 7.5, but I don't want to simply guess an answer.

Solving with 7.5 yields: 15+(40-(2x15)-7.5) = 17.5

mgier001 said:
Well the area of each circle x=40, and intersection y=15. However, z is not given. I would guess z to be 7.5, but I don't want to simply guess an answer.

Solving with 7.5 yields: 15+(40-(2x15)-7.5) = 17.5
All you need to know is that ##z## is nonnegative. Other than that, it doesn't really matter what ##z## is. Try it. Algebra is fun. :tongue:

Mandelbroth said:
All you need to know is that ##z## is nonnegative. Other than that, it doesn't really matter what ##z## is. Try it. Algebra is fun. :tongue:

Do you mind explaining the equation? I would have subtracted 3y and added 2z.
x-3y+2z

we have 7 regions
3A
3B
1C
each circle is made up of 1A+2B+C
so 40=a+2b+c
each intersection of two circles is made up of B+C
so 15=b+c
our shaded region is made up of A+B
so 25=a+b

Likes 1 person
Doing all that algebra is wasting valuable test-taking time. Take the smaller shaded region, and instead shade in one of the other two regions that have the same shape. Look at the overall shaded region that results.

p.s. Mod's note: moving this to homework area.

Put the small shaded area in the circle that has the large shaded area , it leaves you with the intersection of two circles which is 15.

So the shaded area is 40-15 = 25.

Not sure if it's suppose to be more complicated , but the statement that all the intersections of two circles are identical intuitively suggest that each of the three small areas surrounding the triple intersection are of the same size.Do you think you had to prove that?

Likes smslca
Mandelbroth said:
I can't see where you get [itex]y+(x-2y-z)[/itex] from. Using your labelling:

the larger shaded area = [itex]x - 2y + z[/itex]

and the smaller shaded area = [itex]y - z[/itex]

so Quantity A = [itex](x - 2y + z) + (y - z) = x - y[/itex]

As a couple of of the posters have already stated, it is intuitively obvious that it is [itex]x - y[/itex] if you "move" the smaller shaded area into the other circle.

I agree with Red Belly, no algebra is needed. This is a logic question, no maths involved.

oay said:
I can't see where you get [itex]y+(x-2y-z)[/itex] from. Using your labelling:

the larger shaded area = [itex]x - 2y + z[/itex]

and the smaller shaded area = [itex]y - z[/itex]

so Quantity A = [itex](x - 2y + z) + (y - z) = x - y[/itex]

As a couple of of the posters have already stated, it is intuitively obvious that it is [itex]x - y[/itex] if you "move" the smaller shaded area into the other circle.
I misinterpreted their meaning of intersection of 2 circles as "the intersection of 2 and only 2 circles." I apologize.

Regardless, B is correct.

What is the "tricky circular area math problem" from the GRE?

The tricky circular area math problem from the GRE is a question that tests a student's ability to apply mathematical concepts, such as geometry and algebra, to solve a complex problem involving a circle.

What is the difficulty level of this problem?

The difficulty level of this problem is considered to be challenging, as it requires a strong understanding of mathematical principles and the ability to think critically and creatively to find a solution.

Can you provide an example of this problem?

Sure, an example of this problem might be: "Given a circle with a radius of 5 inches, what is the maximum area that can be enclosed within the circle using exactly 4 straight lines?"

What strategies can be used to solve this problem?

Some possible strategies for solving this problem include breaking the circle into smaller shapes, using algebraic equations to represent the problem, and visualizing the problem through diagrams or drawings.

How can I improve my ability to solve this type of problem?

To improve your ability to solve tricky circular area math problems, it is important to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with different problem-solving strategies. You may also benefit from reviewing basic geometric and algebraic concepts and seeking guidance from a math tutor or teacher.