Uncertainty Calculation for a Complex Formula with Known Errors

In summary: Now, in summary, the uncertainty in x and t affects the uncertainty in q, which in turn affects the error in q.
JamesJames
How do I calculate the uncertainty of

q = [exp(x/2)][t^(1/2)]

where both x and t have known uncertainties.

I could have done the thing if there was no exp(x/2) term. But that term is causing me a lot of stress.

Can someone please help me.
I am really confused.
James

Physics news on Phys.org
In one of my lab courses, we were given a short write-up on error analysis. It gave the formula that I'm going to put below. So you are trying to calculate a quantity q that depends on two other quantities you have measured (and therefore whose experimental uncertainties you know): x and t. Well, the uncertainty in both x and in t will affect the error in q, because q depends on both. Assuming that x and t are independent variables, the formula we were given for "Errors propagating through a functional relationship:"

[tex] \delta q^2 = \left(\frac{\partial q}{\partial t}\right)^2 \delta t^2 + \left(\frac{\partial q}{\partial x}\right)^2 \delta x^2 [/tex]

where delta q represents the uncertainty in q, for example. This formula makes sense to me sort of, because the uncertainty in q depends on the individual uncertainties in x and t, as well as the rate at which q changes with each one. For instance, if dq/dt (<--meant to be partial) is large, the even a small delta t will affect q significantly. However, a friend of mine with a math BSc was telling me that these formulas aren't strictly correct, and that you're not actually supposed to be doing calculus per se. Error analysis seems to me to be a very complicated, convoluted subject. Hopefully somebody here will be able to comment on whether using this formula is indeed the best method.

At this time the formula that cephid quoted is correct. You have KNOWN errors, the problem arises when you do not know the errors. I have been reading a lot about error calculation lately because my employer needs to know the no (&()&) error for some of the apparatuses we use and bought commercially. The calculation of errors is essentially a mathematical problem, a very complex mathematical problem. If you go to the NIST website (www.nist.gov[/url]) or the NPL ([url]www.npl.co.uk[/URL]) and look for uncertainty analysis you'll find a massive amount of material out there. A good place to start is with John Mandel, Statistical Analysis of Experimental Data, I have learned enough to be somewhat dangerous.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is tricky error calculation?

Tricky error calculation refers to the process of determining the margin of error in a scientific measurement or experiment. It involves identifying potential sources of error and using statistical methods to estimate the uncertainty in the final result.

2. Why is error calculation important in scientific research?

Error calculation is crucial in scientific research because it allows scientists to evaluate the reliability and validity of their data and conclusions. It also helps to identify areas for improvement in future experiments and ensures that results are accurately reported.

3. What are some common sources of error in scientific experiments?

Some common sources of error in scientific experiments include measurement errors, human error, instrument limitations, environmental factors, and systematic errors due to faulty equipment or procedures.

4. How do you calculate the margin of error?

The margin of error is typically calculated using statistical methods, such as confidence intervals or standard deviations. These calculations take into account the sample size, variability in the data, and the level of confidence desired for the results.

5. How can scientists minimize error in their experiments?

To minimize error in experiments, scientists can take steps such as carefully calibrating equipment, conducting multiple trials, and controlling variables. They can also use statistical techniques to correct for and account for potential sources of error.