Tricky Integral: Splitting and Solving using Zeta and Bernoulli Numbers

• Thread starter Screwdriver
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: C$. The only pole inside $C$ is at $z=2\pi i$ and its residue is given by:$$\mathrm{Res}(f,2\pi i) = \frac{(2\pi i)^3}{e^{2\pi i}-1}\left(\ln(2\pi i)+\ln\left(\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{B_{n+1}(1)}{(n+1)^2n!}(2\pi i)^{n+1}\right)\right)$$Evaluating this residue and taking the limit as $R\rightarrow\infty$, we get:$$
Screwdriver

Homework Statement

$$
I=\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{x^3}{e^x-1}\ln(e^x-1)\,dx
$$

Homework Equations

Any identity involving [itex]\zeta(s)[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I noted that:
$$
\ln(e^x - 1) = \ln(x) + \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{B_{n+1}(1)}{(n+1)^2n!}x^{n+1}
$$
Therefore, the integral can be split into two parts:
$$
I = \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{x^3}{e^x-1}\ln(x)\,dx + \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{x^3}{e^x-1}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{B_{n+1}(1)}{(n+1)^2n!}x^{n+1}\,dx = I_{1} +I_{2}
$$

Ignoring the first one for now,
$$
I_{2} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{B_{n+1}(1)}{(n+1)^2n!} \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{x^{n+4}}{e^x-1}\,dx = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{B_{n+1}(1)}{(n+1)^2n!} \Gamma(n+5)\zeta(n+5) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} B_{n+1}(1) \frac{(n+4)(n+3)(n+2)}{n+1}\zeta(n+5) = 12\zeta(5) + \sum_{m=0}^{\infty} B_{2m}\frac{(2m+5)(2m+4)(2m+3)}{2m+2}\zeta(2m+6)
$$
Now I suppose that you can use the relationship between [itex]B_{2m}[/itex] and [itex]\zeta(2m)[/itex] but I don't see how that would help. I want to believe that [itex]I_{1}[/itex] can be done via contour integration, but I can't come up with anything. Thanks for reading this mess.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your attempt at solving this integral. Your approach using the identity involving the Bernoulli numbers and the Riemann zeta function is a good start. However, I would like to suggest an alternative method using the residue theorem.

First, let's rewrite the integral as follows:
$$
I=\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{x^3}{e^x-1}\ln(e^x-1)\,dx = \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{x^3}{e^x-1}\left(\ln(x)+\ln\left(\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{B_{n+1}(1)}{(n+1)^2n!}x^{n+1}\right)\right)\,dx
$$
Now, let's consider the function $f(z)=\frac{z^3}{e^z-1}\left(\ln(z)+\ln\left(\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{B_{n+1}(1)}{(n+1)^2n!}z^{n+1}\right)\right)$ and integrate it over a contour made up of the real axis and a large semicircle in the upper half plane, centered at the origin. The contour integral can be written as follows:
$$
\oint_{C} f(z)\,dz = \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{x^3}{e^x-1}\ln(x)\,dx + \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{x^3}{e^x-1}\ln\left(\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{B_{n+1}(1)}{(n+1)^2n!}x^{n+1}\right)\,dx + \int_{C_R} f(z)\,dz
$$
where $C_R$ is the semicircle of radius $R$ in the upper half plane. Using the residue theorem, we can evaluate the contour integral as follows:
$$
\oint_{C} f(z)\,dz = 2\pi i \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \mathrm{Res}(f,z_k)
$$
where $z_k$ are the poles of $

Related to Tricky Integral: Splitting and Solving using Zeta and Bernoulli Numbers

1. What is a "really tricky integral"?

A really tricky integral refers to a complicated mathematical expression that cannot be easily solved using basic integration techniques. It often involves a combination of different functions and requires advanced techniques to find a solution.

2. How do I know if an integral is "really tricky"?

A tricky integral is usually recognized by its complexity and the inability to solve it using basic integration methods such as substitution or integration by parts. It may also involve special functions and multiple variables.

3. What techniques can be used to solve a "really tricky integral"?

There are several techniques that can be used to solve a tricky integral, such as partial fractions, trigonometric substitutions, and integration by parts. In some cases, it may also require the use of advanced mathematical tools like the residue theorem or series expansions.

4. Can a "really tricky integral" be solved using a computer?

Yes, a tricky integral can be solved using a computer through numerical integration methods or specialized software. However, it is important to have a good understanding of the integral and its properties to ensure accurate results.

5. Are there any tips for tackling a "really tricky integral"?

Yes, some tips for solving a tricky integral include breaking it down into smaller parts, using symmetry and substitution, and practicing with simpler integrals first. It is also important to have a good understanding of integration techniques and mathematical properties to approach the integral effectively.