Tricky Kinematics: Projectile Motion in 2D

In summary, an airplane releases a package, which falls to the ground and has an angle of velocity just before impact.
guty316
hi, I am new to this forum and i have been having great difficulties with this question...

Homework Statement

An airplane with a speed of 81.6 m/s is climbing upward at an angle of 44.7 ° with respect to the horizontal. When the plane's altitude is 944 m, the pilot releases a package. 1) Calculate the distance along the ground, measured from a point directly beneath the point of release, to where the package hits the earth. 2) Relative to the ground, determine the angle of the velocity vector of the package just before impact.

Homework Equations

any possible kinematics equation

Anyone have any ideas, it wud extremely helpful

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
guty316 said:
hi, I am new to this forum and i have been having great difficulties with this question...

Homework Statement

An airplane with a speed of 81.6 m/s is climbing upward at an angle of 44.7 ° with respect to the horizontal. When the plane's altitude is 944 m, the pilot releases a package. 1) Calculate the distance along the ground, measured from a point directly beneath the point of release, to where the package hits the earth. 2) Relative to the ground, determine the angle of the velocity vector of the package just before impact.

Homework Equations

any possible kinematics equation

Anyone have any ideas, it wud extremely helpful

thanks
Hi there guty and welcome to PF! You should think about what the relevant equations are out of all the 'possible kinematic equations'. Are you familiar with the projectile motion 2D equations?

yes i think so

the 4 equations are

v2^2=v1^2+2ad
x=v1t+1/2at^2
v2=v1+at
x=1/2*v1+v2)t

guty316 said:
yes i think so

the 4 equations are

v2^2=v1^2+2ad
x=v1t+1/2at^2
v2=v1+at
x=1/2*(v1+v2)t
Sorry to leave you hanging there. Yes, those are the general motion equations for motion. For projectile motion problems, such as the one you are working on, there is motion in 2D, the x and y direction. Once the package is released from the plane, the only force acting on the package is the gravity force downward , with an acceleration of g vertically downward. There is no force in the x direction, thus there is no acceleration in the x direction. So in the y direction, where ay =-g, you have v2y = v1y -gt, etc., and in the x direction, where ax =0, you have v2x = v1x, x = v1t, etc. So you have to find v1x and v1y from the given value of v1, then use these equations properly to get your answer. You might want to google on 'projectile motion' for sample problems.

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces causing the motion.

2. What is tricky kinematics in 2 dimensions?

Tricky kinematics in 2 dimensions involves analyzing the motion of objects that are simultaneously moving in two different directions, such as in a projectile motion.

3. How do you calculate displacement in 2 dimensions?

To calculate displacement in 2 dimensions, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the displacement vector, and then use trigonometry to determine the direction of the displacement.

4. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction.

5. How does acceleration affect an object's motion in 2 dimensions?

Acceleration can change the velocity and direction of an object's motion in 2 dimensions. If the acceleration is in the same direction as the object's velocity, it will speed up the object. If the acceleration is in the opposite direction, it will slow down the object. If the acceleration is perpendicular to the object's velocity, it will cause the object to change direction.