1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tricky to 2 variable line/path integral

1. Nov 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Compute ∫f ds for [tex]f(x,y)=\frac {y^3}{x^7}[/tex] [tex]y=\frac {x^4}{4}[/tex] for [itex]1≤x≤2[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

∫f ds= ∫f(c(t))||c'(t)||

||c'(t)|| is the magnitude of ∇c'(t)

3. The attempt at a solution

From this... I gathered the following, by saying x=t
    [tex]c(t)= <t,\frac {t^4}{4}>[/tex]
    [itex]c'(t)= <1, t^3>[/itex]

That gave me a magnitude of [tex]\sqrt{1+t^6}[/tex]

so now I get that ∫f ds... through plugging in the magnitude and c(t) in the integral... this

[itex]∫\frac{t^5 \sqrt{1+t^6}}{64}[/itex] where [itex] x=t\, and\, 1≤t≤2 [/itex]

This is the part where I'm particularly stuck... am I missing a step or did I make a math error??? How do I integrate this?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Let ##u = 1+t^6##.

4. Nov 9, 2012 #3
    I am completely lost... my anti-derivative and integration is shaky at best.
    so
    u= 1+t^6
    so do I just take the anti-derivative of t^5... and get t^6/(6*64) and then take the and then the anti-derivative of u which would [tex]\frac{2u^\frac{3}{2}}{3} [/tex] then anti-derivative of U which would t+t^7/7

5. Nov 9, 2012 #4
    no wait, there would be a product rule... too wouldn't it.

or am I wrong

6. Nov 9, 2012 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ignoring the ##\frac 1 {64}##, you have$$
    \int t^5\sqrt{1+t^6}\, dt$$If you let ##u = 1+t^6## then ##du = 6t^5dt##. That gives you$$
    \frac 1 6\int u^{\frac 1 2}\, du$$You integrate that and substitute ##u = 1+t^6## in your answer. Then put in your limits.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook