Tricky trig integral (calc 1/2 level)

In summary: And yes, you could use u-substitution to integrate it.In summary, the conversation discusses a calculus problem involving integrating sin^3(x)cos^5(x) and the different approaches used to solve it. The speaker shares their initial approach using trigonometric identities and graphing, but then realizes a simpler solution using integration by parts. The conversation also touches on the concept of antiderivatives and the importance of considering constants when comparing solutions.
curiousbeaver
Hello,

I am an incoming EE freshman who completed Calculus BC one year ago and Multivariable Calculus last Fall. Right now I'm doing a self-study going over basic calculus again in one of my review books.

Here is my problem:
[tex]\int sin^3(x)cos^5(x) dx[/tex]

and I solved it, with an answer my graphing calculator showed to be non-equivalent to the book answer:

= [tex]\int sin(x)(\frac{1-cos(2x)}{2})(\frac{1+cos(2x)}{2})^2cos(x) dx[/tex]

(expanding terms) = [tex]\int sin(x)cos(x)(\frac{1+cos(2x)-cos^2(2x)-cos^3(2x)}{8}) dx[/tex]

using sin(2x) = 2sin(x)cos(x), I integrated:

[tex]\frac{1}{8} \int \frac{sin(2x)}{2} + \frac{sin(2x)}{2}cos(2x) - \frac{sin(2x)}{2}cos^2(2x) - \frac{sin(2x)}{2}cos^3(2x) dx [/tex]

u = 2x, du = 2dx
u = sin(2x), du = 2cos(2x)dx
u = cos(2x), du = -2sin(2x)dx

My solution = [tex](1/16)sin^2(2x) - (1/32)cos(2x) + (1/24)cos^3(2x) + (1/32)cos^4(2x) + C[/tex]

Their solution = [tex]-(1/6)cos^6(x) + (1/8)cos^8(x) + C[/tex]

Like I said I graphed the solutions on my TI89 and they are not equivalent. What is also very difficult for me to understand is that I graphed my expansion of the integral vs the original integral, showing them to be equal. I then used the integration function to graph the integrals of the original and my expansion and they were shown to be different!

If there is an easier way to do that problem I would love to see it but I would also like to understand what if anything is wrong with my approach. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] \int \sin^3 x \cos^5 x {}dx =\int \sin^3 x \cos^4 x {}\cos x {} dx =\int \sin^3 x \left(1-\sin^2 x\right)^2 d\sin x [/tex]

can you carry on from here ?

What do you mean by "not equivalent"?

DO remember that valid antiderivatives can differ by a constant.

So, if your anti-derivative is a parallell curve to the one TI-89 spat out, you have done it right after all.

dexter: I don't know why that didn't come to mind it is much simpler! (of course though you mean the last term to be cosx). thank you

and arildno: I had just looked at the table of values instead of the graph, and actually both solutions have a constant difference of 1/48 so it is actually correct.

thanks! problem solved

The last term is the differential one form [itex] d\sin x [/itex] which is nothing but the element of intergration.

Alternatively, [tex]\int \sin^3 x \cos^5 x dx = \int \sin x \sin^2 x \cos^5 x dx = \int (\cos^5 x - \cos^7 x) \sin x dx[/tex]

dextercioby said:
The last term is the differential one form [itex] d\sin x [/itex] which is nothing but the element of intergration.

I am new to that notation. I suppose that would be the same as leaving dsinx as cosx and integrating with u-substitution?

curiousbeaver said:
I am new to that notation. I suppose that would be the same as leaving dsinx as cosx and integrating with u-substitution?

It would be the same as d(sin x)= cos x dx.

Related to Tricky trig integral (calc 1/2 level)

1. What is a tricky trig integral?

A tricky trig integral is a type of integral, or mathematical calculation, that involves trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These integrals can be challenging because they require knowledge of trigonometric identities and techniques to solve.

2. What level of math is required for solving tricky trig integrals?

Tricky trig integrals are typically encountered in Calculus 1 or 2, which are college-level math courses. These courses cover basic integration techniques, including those involving trigonometric functions.

3. How do I know if an integral is a tricky trig integral?

A tricky trig integral will typically involve one or more trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, or tangent. It may also have complex or unusual expressions within the integral.

4. What are some tips for solving tricky trig integrals?

Some tips for solving tricky trig integrals include using trigonometric identities to simplify the integral, using substitution to change variables, and breaking the integral into smaller parts if necessary. It is also important to have a good understanding of basic trigonometric functions and their properties.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve tricky trig integrals?

While a calculator may be helpful in checking your work, it is important to solve tricky trig integrals using your own knowledge and understanding. Many calculators may not be able to solve these integrals accurately, and it is important to show your work and understand the steps involved in solving the integral.