Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tricky trig integral (calc 1/2 level)

1. Aug 12, 2007 #1
    Hello,

I am an incoming EE freshman who completed Calculus BC one year ago and Multivariable Calculus last Fall. Right now I'm doing a self-study going over basic calculus again in one of my review books.

Here is my problem:
    [tex]\int sin^3(x)cos^5(x) dx[/tex]

and I solved it, with an answer my graphing calculator showed to be non-equivalent to the book answer:

= [tex]\int sin(x)(\frac{1-cos(2x)}{2})(\frac{1+cos(2x)}{2})^2cos(x) dx[/tex]

(expanding terms) = [tex]\int sin(x)cos(x)(\frac{1+cos(2x)-cos^2(2x)-cos^3(2x)}{8}) dx[/tex]

using sin(2x) = 2sin(x)cos(x), I integrated:

[tex]\frac{1}{8} \int \frac{sin(2x)}{2} + \frac{sin(2x)}{2}cos(2x) - \frac{sin(2x)}{2}cos^2(2x) - \frac{sin(2x)}{2}cos^3(2x) dx [/tex]

u = 2x, du = 2dx
    u = sin(2x), du = 2cos(2x)dx
    u = cos(2x), du = -2sin(2x)dx

My solution = [tex](1/16)sin^2(2x) - (1/32)cos(2x) + (1/24)cos^3(2x) + (1/32)cos^4(2x) + C[/tex]

Their solution = [tex]-(1/6)cos^6(x) + (1/8)cos^8(x) + C[/tex]

Like I said I graphed the solutions on my TI89 and they are not equivalent. What is also very difficult for me to understand is that I graphed my expansion of the integral vs the original integral, showing them to be equal. I then used the integration function to graph the integrals of the original and my expansion and they were shown to be different!

If there is an easier way to do that problem I would love to see it but I would also like to understand what if anything is wrong with my approach. Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2007 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex] \int \sin^3 x \cos^5 x {}dx =\int \sin^3 x \cos^4 x {}\cos x {} dx =\int \sin^3 x \left(1-\sin^2 x\right)^2 d\sin x [/tex]

can you carry on from here ?

4. Aug 12, 2007 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

What do you mean by "not equivalent"?

DO remember that valid antiderivatives can differ by a constant.

So, if your anti-derivative is a parallell curve to the one TI-89 spat out, you have done it right after all.

5. Aug 12, 2007 #4
    dexter: I dont know why that didn't come to mind it is much simpler! (of course though you mean the last term to be cosx). thank you

and arildno: I had just looked at the table of values instead of the graph, and actually both solutions have a constant difference of 1/48 so it is actually correct.

thanks!! problem solved

6. Aug 13, 2007 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The last term is the differential one form [itex] d\sin x [/itex] which is nothing but the element of intergration.

7. Aug 14, 2007 #6

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Alternatively, [tex]\int \sin^3 x \cos^5 x dx = \int \sin x \sin^2 x \cos^5 x dx = \int (\cos^5 x - \cos^7 x) \sin x dx[/tex]

8. Aug 14, 2007 #7
    I am new to that notation. I suppose that would be the same as leaving dsinx as cosx and integrating with u-substitution?

9. Aug 14, 2007 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It would be the same as d(sin x)= cos x dx.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?