Trig - Can't rememeber Equation

• Thread starter Tonik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the speaker is looking for an equation to find the force applied to the tires of a car when pushing it at a certain height and remembers being taught this equation in a Trig class. They are seeking help in finding this equation and provide a diagram and additional details to clarify their question. Some responses suggest considering friction and the direction of the pushing force.
Tonik
I'm unsure if this should be in homework help or not... but...

In Trig (over a year ago) I remember being taught a equation to find the force being applied (in this case) to the tires of a car when pushing it with "x" force at "y" height.

Lo and behold, I need this equation for a project I'm doing but I can't find it online or in my notes. Can anyone shine some light on this for me?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
The question isn't clear

Okay, sorry. I drew a [very poor] picture to help illustrate what I'm trying to get at.

mtukoz.jpg

The force at point A will be known but it will not equal the force at point B. There will be some angle (theta) that I will approximate. I know that there is a relation between the two points along with the angle between the two but I can't figure out what the equation was.

Ok you mean about resolving forces? the force is going to be A multiplied by the perpendicular distance.

But actually in that diagram the is no moment and I can't exactly see what you mean by the force at B?

Last edited:
Okay I just did a little experiment and found dimensions and angles of this car I'm pushing.

23iur1s.jpg

Basically this is the triangle that I drew here is what I'm pushing, only... in the form of a car. (point A and point B are the same points on both pictures.)

I'm trying to find the equation that show how much force will be applied to point B when I apply a force to Point A.

Gregg said:
Ok you mean about resolving forces? the force is going to be A multiplied by the perpendicular distance.

But actually in that diagram the is no moment and I can't exactly see what you mean by the force at B?

I was under the impression that, since the wheel is moving instead of the actual car, the force is actually exerted to the wheel (point B) from the car (point A).

Also, I'm unsure what the perpendicular distance to a point of a triangle would be.

EDIT: I could just be going crazy and they be the same force... It is very possible.

Last edited:
If you ignore all resistive forces, yes you are going crazy and both forces are the same :tongue:
Look at it in a slightly different way. Would it make any difference if you were pushing the car from the point A or parallel to the tyre at the point (lets say, C)? If you were pushing from the point C, isn't the point B now parallel and there is no trigonometry involved?

You're probably thinking trigo is needed because there are such things as having a force at an angle. For example, you could be pushing straight down on the top curved part of the car which would mean the force isn't parallel with the direction of movement. This means you are pushing as efficiently.

Mentallic said:
yes you are going crazy

I knew it!

Thanks for the help everyone... I guess I'm just over thinking things for a relatively easy project.

Tonik said:
... easy project.

If you want to consider the pushing force, you better consider friction as well, else this easy project will be a very inaccurate project.

Tonik said:
I'm unsure if this should be in homework help or not... but...

In Trig (over a year ago) I remember being taught a equation to find the force being applied (in this case) to the tires of a car when pushing it with "x" force at "y" height.

Lo and behold, I need this equation for a project I'm doing but I can't find it online or in my notes. Can anyone shine some light on this for me?

Thanks in advance!

Are you think of

[tex]F = \Delta x \cdot cos(\theta)[/tex] Where can be written as [tex]F = N \cdot \mu_k[/tex]
?

What is the basic trigonometric equation?

The basic trigonometric equation is sin2(x) + cos2(x) = 1, also known as the Pythagorean identity. It relates the three main trigonometric functions: sine, cosine, and tangent.

What is the difference between sine, cosine, and tangent?

Sine (sin) represents the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse in a right triangle. Cosine (cos) represents the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse. Tangent (tan) represents the ratio of the opposite side to the adjacent side.

How do I remember the trigonometric identities?

One way to remember the trigonometric identities is by using the acronym SOHCAHTOA: sine = opposite/hypotenuse, cosine = adjacent/hypotenuse, tangent = opposite/adjacent. Another helpful tool is the unit circle, which shows the values of sine, cosine, and tangent for different angles.

What is the inverse trigonometric function?

The inverse trigonometric function, denoted as sin-1, cos-1, or tan-1, is used to find the angle of a triangle given the values of its sides. It is the opposite of the regular trigonometric functions, which find the ratios of sides given an angle.

How do I solve trigonometric equations?

To solve trigonometric equations, you can use algebraic manipulation and the trigonometric identities to simplify the equation. You may also need to use the inverse trigonometric functions to find the values of angles. It is important to pay attention to the domain and range of the trigonometric functions when solving equations.