Solving 3 cos x + 4 = 0 cos x = -4/3

• Thread starter cscott
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cos
In summary: No problem! :smile:The "=>" is an implication arrow - it means that, if the left-hand side is true, the right-hand side is also true.The "<=>" is basically an implication arrow going both ways, and is generally read "if and only if". It's a much more powerful condition, meaning that if either side is true, the other side is also true. Outside of definitions and relatively trivial things, you don't get one of those very often. When you do, it's worth paying attention to.Wait! Let me just check my understanding: the solution to the equation I posted can be either the one including pi/3 or the one inl
cscott
3 cos x + 4 = 0
cos x = -4/3

How do I solve this? I can't take the arcsine...

---

sin (3x - 40) = 0

Is the general solution 73.3 + 120k | k E I?

Physics news on Phys.org
cscott said:
3 cos x + 4 = 0
cos x = -4/3

Did you try to use complex numbers or hyperbolic trig functions?

Could try graphing it and see where it crosses zero.

It's not going to cross the x-axis. You'll have to encorporte complex numbers like robphy said.

We don't cover complex numbers until the end of the year. Does this mean I say it has no solution?

Why can you not take the cosine inverse of x?

JoshHolloway said:
Why can you not take the cosine inverse of x?

4/3 > 1 so you get a domain error... or at least that's how I see it.

cscott said:
3 cos x + 4 = 0
cos x = -4/3
Unless I'm missing something, your given value for cos x is incorrect. Any value of the cosine function is in a way "stuck" between -1 and 1.

Use a calculator and take the cosine of any degree/radian measure you wish, it will always be between -1 and 1.

Last edited:
benjamincarson said:
Unless I'm missing something, you're given value for cos x is incorrect. Any values of the cosine function is in a way "stuck" between -1 and 1.

Use a calculator and take the cosine of any degree/radian measure you wish, it will always be between -1 and 1.

I got -4/3 from rearranging the equation. The fact that 4/3 > 1 is my problem.

Is this an equation that needs solving, or an identity that needs verifying?

"Solve for all possible values of x."

no solution

Thank you.

I have another problem :frown:

sin^2 x = 3/4

for one of the possible answers I get [itex]\frac{\pi}{3} + 2\pi k[/itex] but my book says it should be [itex]\pi[/itex] instead of [itex]2\pi[/itex] for the period. How come?

The sin value is squared, so the negative values square out to give a solution too.

whozum said:
The sin value is squared, so the negative values square out to give a solution too.

Yes I know. Let me clarify: [itex]\frac{\pi}{3} + 2\pi k[/itex] is one possible solution but my book says it should be [itex]\frac{\pi}{3} + \pi k[/itex] and I don't know why.

[tex]e^{i\pi}=-1[/tex]

robphy said:
[tex]e^{i\pi}=-1[/tex]

I haven't done complex numbers so I don't really know the significance of that expression.

cscott said:
I have another problem :frown:

sin^2 x = 3/4

for one of the possible answers I get [itex]\frac{\pi}{3} + 2\pi k[/itex] but my book says it should be [itex]\pi[/itex] instead of [itex]2\pi[/itex] for the period. How come?
[tex]\sin ^2 x = \frac{3}
{4} \Leftrightarrow \sin x = \pm \sqrt {\frac{3}
{4}} = \pm \frac{{\sqrt 3 }}
{2}[/tex]

Now determine the solution in both cases (the + and the - case).

TD said:
[tex]\sin ^2 x = \frac{3}
{4} \Leftrightarrow \sin x = \pm \sqrt {\frac{3}
{4}} = \pm \frac{{\sqrt 3 }}
{2}[/tex]

Now determine the solution in both cases (the + and the - case).

I would say

[tex]\frac{\pi}{3} + 2\pi k | k \epsilon I, \frac{4\pi}{3} + 2\pi k | k \epsilon I[/tex]

but my book says

[tex]\frac{\pi}{3} + \pi k | k \epsilon I, \frac{4\pi}{3} + \pi k | k \epsilon I[/tex]

and I don't know why

Also remember the supplementary solution, [itex]\sin \left( \alpha \right) = \sin \left( {\pi - \alpha } \right)[/itex]. You immediately have this if you don't multiply with 2k*pi but just with k*pi.

TD said:
Also remember the supplementary solution, [itex]\sin \left( \alpha \right) = \sin \left( {\pi - \alpha } \right)[/itex]. You immediately have this if you don't multiply with 2k*pi but just with k*pi.

Ohhh, I see. Thanks a lot! :smile:

By the way, how do you read the <=> arrow you used and how is it different than just =>?

No problem! :smile:

The "=>" is an implication arrow - it means that, if the left-hand side is true, the right-hand side is also true.

The "<=>" is basically an implication arrow going both ways, and is generally read "if and only if". It's a much more powerful condition, meaning that if either side is true, the other side is also true. Outside of definitions and relatively trivial things, you don't get one of those very often. When you do, it's worth paying attention to.

Wait! Let me just check my understanding: the solution to the equation I posted can be either the one including pi/3 or the one inlcluding 4pi/3 and each solution has to encorporate the negative and positive sqrt(3)/2?

I say this because pi/3 + pi gives -sqrt(3)/2 but I got the pi/3 in the first place using sin x = +sqrt(3)/2

Is this correct? It doesn't seem like it...

cscott said:
Wait! Let me just check my understanding: the solution to the equation I posted can be either the one including pi/3 or the one inlcluding 4pi/3 and each solution has to encorporate the negative and positive sqrt(3)/2?

I say this because pi/3 + pi gives -sqrt(3)/2 but I got the pi/3 in the first place using sin x = +sqrt(3)/2

Is this correct? It doesn't seem like it...
From the positive root, the solution pi/3 and its complementary solution pi-pi/3 = 2pi/3 follow.
From the negative root, the solution -pi/3 (or 5pi/3) and its complementary solution 4pi/3 follow.

You see?

TD said:
From the positive root, the solution pi/3 and its complementary solution pi-pi/3 = 2pi/3 follow.
From the negative root, the solution -pi/3 (or 5pi/3) and its complementary solution 4pi/3 follow.

You see?

I understand that there is two solutions for each root but I don't see how that translates into the one solution per root. How do you get 2pi/3 from pi/3 + pi * k? Shouldn't I be able to put any integral value for "k" and get a positive sqrt(3)/2 answer in that case?

Last edited:
For the positive root, we had: pi/3 and 2pi/3
For the negative root, we had: 4pi/3 and 5pi/3

Of course, all +2k*pi.

But now notice that 4pi/3 = pi/3 + pi and 5pi/3 = 2pi/3 + pi.
So you need to 'cross' the solutions of both roots, take them all together.
Then you can leave out the two redundant ones and use +k*pi instead of +2k*pi.

I get it! I get it! Thanks again for being patient with me.

It's like this was a one on one (fast posts) :tongue:

No problem, glad you understand :smile:

1. What is the equation "3 cos x + 4 = 0" used for?

The equation "3 cos x + 4 = 0" is used to find the value of x when the cosine of x is equal to -4/3.

2. How do you solve the equation "3 cos x + 4 = 0"?

To solve the equation "3 cos x + 4 = 0", you can use algebraic methods such as factoring or the quadratic formula to isolate and solve for x.

3. What is the significance of solving for x in "3 cos x + 4 = 0"?

Solving for x in "3 cos x + 4 = 0" allows you to find the values of x that satisfy the equation and make it true. This can be useful in solving mathematical problems or analyzing trigonometric functions.

4. Can the equation "3 cos x + 4 = 0" have more than one solution?

Yes, the equation "3 cos x + 4 = 0" can have more than one solution. Since cosine is a periodic function, there can be multiple values of x that make the equation true.

5. How does the value of x change if the equation is "3 cos x + 4 = k" where k is a constant?

If the equation is "3 cos x + 4 = k", the value of x will change depending on the value of k. The solutions will be different for different values of k, but the method for solving the equation will remain the same.