What does the product of two cosine functions represent in terms of angles?

In summary, the product \cos \theta_1 \cos \theta_2 represents the factor that a segment would shrink upon successive perpendicular projections through angles \theta_1 and \theta_2, if they are contiguous and at the same vertex. It is derived from the trigonometric identity \cos \alpha \cos \beta=\frac{1}{2}[\cos(\alpha+\beta)+\cos(\alpha-\beta)]. This product has no other meaning and can be transformed into a sum of cosines using the given formula. It is important to have a good understanding of trigonometric identities in order to solve problems in mathematics.
trancefishy
what exactly does [tex]\cos \theta_1 \cos \theta_2[/tex] represent, in relation to the angles? is this a dot product? i have played, and don't really see what this product is supposed to represent.

EDIT: you know, i may have just answered my own question with a mere trig identity... perhaps i will figure this thing out I'm working on pretty soon...

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
It would depend upon where these angles came from (dot product of what vectors?).

Imagine I asked why x^2 represented - a slightly ambiguous question, isn't it?

A simple geometrical interpretation I can think of: if you angles t1 and t2 are contiguous, and at the same vertex, the factor cos(t1)cos(t2) is the factor that a segment would shrink upon succesive perpendicular projections through those angles.

But, as Matt says, it would be useful to know more about the particular situation in which you are trying to interpret the product.

trancefishy said:
yes, i'd imagine it is a bit more ambiguous than I had supposed... I'm working on this
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=57665

You refer to my post??What is ambiguous about that??It's true i didn't make any picture,but i relied upon your imagination.I guess u're all to familiar with spherical coordinates and the angles [itex] \theta [/itex] and [itex] \phi [/itex].Else,it's just math.A bit of ingenuity,though,else the geometric-triginomotric approach would have been more difficult to understand and would have necessitated a drawing.
That is just a simple product of trigonometrical functions.It has no meaning other than the one specified already.If u don't like that product (though i still cannot imagine the reasons),u can use this formula to transform it into a sum of cosines:
[tex] \cos \alpha \cos \beta=\frac{1}{2}[\cos(\alpha+\beta)+\cos(\alpha-\beta)] [/tex]

I sincerely hope u're giving your best shot...Math is not a domain in which being lazy gives results...

Daniel.

that's what i missed. i (embarrassingly) just didn't think of trig identities. btw, i posted this thread before you had replied to my problem. i do thank you for your well given response, all is understood now :-)

Last edited:

1. What are trigonometric function products?

Trigonometric function products are mathematical expressions that involve the multiplication of two or more trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, tangent, secant, cosecant, and cotangent.

2. How do you simplify trigonometric function products?

To simplify trigonometric function products, you can use trigonometric identities, such as the product-to-sum identities or the double-angle identities, along with basic algebraic manipulation.

3. What are some real-world applications of trigonometric function products?

Trigonometric function products are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to model and solve real-world problems involving periodic or oscillatory phenomena, such as sound waves and electrical currents.

4. Can you provide an example of a trigonometric function product?

One example of a trigonometric function product is sin x cos x, which can be simplified using the double-angle identity sin 2x = 2sin x cos x to become sin^2 x.

5. Are there any special cases or restrictions when working with trigonometric function products?

Yes, there are some special cases to consider when working with trigonometric function products. For example, some identities and simplification methods may only be applicable to certain ranges of values for the input angle. Additionally, division by zero should be avoided, as it can lead to undefined results.