Trig functions within Trig functions

In summary, the problem given is to find the integral of sqrt(y^2-25)/y dy. The student uses the substitution y=5sec(u) and solves for the substitution to get 5tan(u)-5u+C. They then encounter a dilemma with trigonometric functions and how to solve for them. The solution given is to use a right-angled triangle to visualize the problem and use the equation 1+tan^2x=sec^2x to convert the tangent into a secant.
Cajstyle

Homework Statement

I'm given the problem: [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{\sqrt{y^{2}-25}}{y}[/tex] dy

Homework Equations

I set y = 5sec(u), and solve for the subsitution.

The Attempt at a Solution

At the culmination of my solution, I achieve: 5tan(u) - 5u + C

Here is my dilemma, u stands for arcsec([tex]\frac{y}{5}[/tex]) -- How do I deal with tan(arcsec(..)), or any "trig within trig" setup? I've gone all this time without actually ever figuring out how to solve for these.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use a right-angled triangle to aid you in visualizing what is going on. For instance, arcsec(y/5) returns an angle in a right-angled triangle where the adjacent side is of length 5 and the hypotenuse is of length y. Then, you can easily calculate the tangent of that angle.

I was previously using this as a method to solve them but I ran into a few instances of having different answers than the book. I'll look further into it, thank you for the response.

Use
[tex]
1+\tan^{2}x=\sec^{2}x
[/tex]
To comvert the tan into a sec.

What are Trig functions within Trig functions?

Trig functions within Trig functions, also known as nested trigonometric functions, are expressions in which one or more trigonometric functions are used as arguments for another trigonometric function. For example, sin(cos(x)) is a nested trigonometric function.

Why are Trig functions within Trig functions important?

Trig functions within Trig functions are important because they allow for more complex mathematical expressions to be represented and calculated. They are also used in many real-world applications, such as physics, engineering, and astronomy.

How do you evaluate Trig functions within Trig functions?

To evaluate Trig functions within Trig functions, you can use the basic trigonometric identities and the order of operations. Start by evaluating the innermost function and then work your way outwards. Make sure to follow the correct order of operations, such as parentheses first, then multiplications and divisions, and finally additions and subtractions.

Can Trig functions within Trig functions be simplified?

Yes, Trig functions within Trig functions can be simplified using trigonometric identities and algebraic techniques. However, not all nested trigonometric functions can be simplified, and sometimes it may be more beneficial to leave them in their nested form for easier calculations.

What are some common examples of Trig functions within Trig functions?

Some common examples of Trig functions within Trig functions include sin(cos(x)), tan(sec(x)), and cos(sin(x)). These can also be expanded to include more nested functions, such as sin(cos(sec(tan(x)))) or tan(sin(cos(sec(x)))).