Master Compound Angles with Expert Help | Boost Your Trigonometry Skills Today!

• Thread starter justinreeves
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angles Trig
In summary, mastering compound angles is made easy with expert help. This will greatly improve your trigonometry skills and help you excel in this area. By understanding the basics of compound angles, you will be able to solve more complex trigonometric problems with ease. With the guidance of an expert, you can learn the techniques and strategies needed to excel in this subject and boost your overall math skills. Don't hesitate to seek expert help and start improving your trigonometry skills today!
justinreeves
Hey If anyone has time or can point me to a link, I am low in math skills and need to know how to calculate compound angles.
I am a 3D animator also and there is a lot of use where Trig. is helpfull
but I have no Idea how to figure what any of these things mean or the context in which they are used.
I am the type of person who needs to use the equation in a real life situation to get some type of context to base things off of.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Justin,
If you are a 3D animator, then you need to get good books.

Two books i can suggest off-hand are,
1. Computer Graphics by Hearn and Baker
2. Computer Graphics: Principles and Practice by James D. Foley, et. al

You will not come across a lot of compound angles during various transforms, still if you feel you need to brush up through them then,
http://www.projectalevel.co.uk/maths/compound.htm

This link gives most of the commonly used compound angle formulae. Try to prove them, if you wish. The proofs are also available online, in case you are stuck.

-- AI

justinreeves said:
Hey If anyone has time or can point me to a link, I am low in math skills and need to know how to calculate compound angles.
I am a 3D animator also and there is a lot of use where Trig. is helpfull
but I have no Idea how to figure what any of these things mean or the context in which they are used.
I am the type of person who needs to use the equation in a real life situation to get some type of context to base things off of.
I have a feeling that what you really mean by compound angles is that some of the tensor equations or rotation matrices used for rotations have cosine or sine of an angle multiplied by the cosine or sine of a different angle. The angles you're probably talking about are the Euler angles. You rotate about one axis by a certain amount, rotate about a second axis by a certain amount, and then rotate about the third axis by a certain amount. In practice, all three rotations can be combined - hence the 'compound' angles.

The trig you need to learn is pretty easy.

You also need to learn some linear algebra - how to construct and multiply your rotation matrices together to rotate the vector in 3 dimensions. You'll soon learn there's some problems with using Euler angles for computer animations. You'll eventually need to move on to using a direction cosine matrix or quaternions. Quaternions are the most popular method.

I'd recommend getting a book. Quaternions and Rotation Sequences : A Primer With Applications to Orbits, Aerospace & Virtual Reality by Jack B. Kuipers is very good, especially if you have a limited math background. It was designed for the reader with a limited math background (keep in mind the term 'limited math background' is a relative term, so it may not be an easy read - but he starts at a pretty basic level).

1. What are compound angles in trigonometry?

Compound angles in trigonometry refer to the combination of two or more angles in a single expression or equation. They are used to solve more complex trigonometric problems.

2. How do I find the values of compound angles?

To find the values of compound angles, you can use the trigonometric identities such as the sum and difference formulas, double angle formulas, and half angle formulas. These identities allow you to break down the compound angle into simpler parts and solve for its values.

3. Can you provide an example of solving a problem with compound angles?

Sure, for example, if you have an equation sin(2x + 3), you can use the double angle formula sin(2x) = 2sin(x)cos(x) to rewrite it as 2sin(x)cos(x) + 3. Then, you can use the sum formula sin(x+y) = sin(x)cos(y) + cos(x)sin(y) to further break down the compound angle into simpler angles and solve for its value.

4. What are some common mistakes when working with compound angles?

Some common mistakes when working with compound angles include forgetting to use the appropriate formulas, mixing up the order of operations, and making arithmetic errors. It is important to carefully follow the steps and double-check your work to avoid these mistakes.

5. How can I improve my understanding of compound angles in trigonometry?

To improve your understanding of compound angles in trigonometry, you can practice solving different types of problems, review the trigonometric identities and formulas, and seek help from a tutor or teacher if needed. It may also be helpful to visualize the concepts using diagrams or real-life applications.