Evaluating the Limit of tan^2(4x^2)/3x^4 as x→0

In summary, the limit of tangent squared of 4x squared all over 3x to the 4th as x approaches 0 is equal to 16 over 3. This can be derived by rewriting the expression as sin squared over cos squared, and then simplifying using the known limit of sin x over x as x approaches 0, which is equal to 1.
dnt

Homework Statement

evaluate the limit as x goes to 0 of:

tan(4x^2)^2/(3x^4)

(thats suppose to say the tangent squared of 4 x squared all over 3 x to the 4th)

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

the only trig limit stuff i know is the limit to 0 of sinx / x = 1

and

limit to 0 of (1-cos x)/x = 0

is there a tangant one i should know? what about tangant squared? i also considered changing it to sin squared over cos squared but i don't know what i could do that with.

if anyone could give me a hint to get me started, i would appreciate it. thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
hmmm actually i think i have an idea (strange how just typing it out can make your mind think in different ways).

after changing it to sin^2 over cos^2 i can then rewrite it like this:

(1/3)(sin4x^2/x^2)(sin4x^2/x^2)(1/cos4x^2)(1/cos4x^2)

then multiply the two sin parts by 4/4 which if i then apply the limit will give me:

(1/3)(4/1)(4/1)(1/1)(1/1)

which is 16/3

is that correct?

dnt said:
tan(4x^2)^2/(3x^4)

(thats suppose to say the tangent squared of 4 x squared all over 3 x to the 4th)

dnt said:
hmmm actually i think i have an idea (strange how just typing it out can make your mind think in different ways).

then multiply the two sin parts by 4/4 which if i then apply the limit will give me:

which is 16/3

is that correct?

In LaTex:

[tex]\frac{tan^2 (4x^2)}{3x^4}[/tex]

or do you mean:

[tex]\frac{tan^2 (4x)^2}{(3x)^4}[/tex]

Or something else? If you quote my reply, you will see the format of the LaTex inside... It would help to see your equations in LaTex to eliminate the confusion. There's also a new LaTex editing feature in the reply dialog -- in the upper right corner of the entry box, there is a [tex]\Sigma[/tex] symbol to click to get the LaTex editor.

Last edited:
its this one:

dnt said:
its this one:

Okay. Now can you show your steps to the solution using LaTex to make them easier to check? Thanks.

BTW, the LaTex preview feature now works here on the PF (as of a day or two ago). When you're in the Advanced Reply window, just click on "Preview Post" to make sure you're happy with the appearance of the LaTex.

You've got two ways to go here. You can blindly apply L'Hopital's rule through 4 differentiations or you can look at an expansion of tan(x) for small x and go more or less directly to the answer.

Or you can write it as [tex](\frac{tan4x^2}{4x^2})^2\frac{16}{3}[/tex]. Can you find the limit now?

Last edited:
dnt said:

which is 16/3

is that correct?

Yes, that's correct. :smile:

When seeing tangent function, you can just split it into sin, and cos function, and simply go from there.

chaoseverlasting said:
Or you can write it as [tex](\frac{tan4x^2}{4x^2})^2\frac{16}{3}[/tex]. Can you find the limit now?

interesting. since i know the answer is 16/3, can i assume the limit of [tex](\frac{tan4x^2}{4x^2})^2\[/tex] when approaching 0 is 1? I've never heard of that limit rule for tangent before.

dnt said:
interesting. since i know the answer is 16/3, can i assume the limit of [tex](\frac{tan4x^2}{4x^2})^2\[/tex] when approaching 0 is 1? I've never heard of that limit rule for tangent before.

Well, actually, you can derive it from the well-known limit:
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin x}{x} = 1[/tex]

Just split tan into sin, and cos, like this:
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\tan x}{x} = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin x}{x} \frac{1}{\cos x} = 1 \times \frac{1}{1} = 1[/tex]

Last edited:
Yeah... that's it.

1. What is the limit of tan^2(4x^2)/3x^4 as x approaches 0?

The limit of tan^2(4x^2)/3x^4 as x approaches 0 is 0.

2. How do you evaluate the limit of tan^2(4x^2)/3x^4 as x approaches 0?

To evaluate this limit, you can use the L'Hopital's rule or the squeeze theorem. You can also simplify the expression by factoring out the common factor of x^4 in the denominator and then use the property of limits to evaluate the limit of the remaining expression.

3. What is the significance of the limit of tan^2(4x^2)/3x^4 as x approaches 0?

The limit of this expression as x approaches 0 represents the slope of the tangent line to the curve of the function at that point. It also helps in understanding the behavior of the function near the point x=0.

4. Can the limit of tan^2(4x^2)/3x^4 as x approaches 0 be evaluated directly?

No, the limit cannot be evaluated directly as it leads to an indeterminate form of 0/0. Instead, we need to use algebraic manipulations or other methods mentioned in question 2 to evaluate the limit.

5. What is the difference between evaluating the limit of tan^2(4x^2)/3x^4 and evaluating the limit of tan(4x^2)/3x^2 as x approaches 0?

The only difference between these two limits is the power of x in the denominator. The first expression has x^4 in the denominator, while the second expression has x^2. This difference leads to a different limit for each expression. The limit of tan(4x^2)/3x^2 as x approaches 0 is 4/3, which is not the same as the limit of tan^2(4x^2)/3x^4.