Algebra Help: Solve Trig for x, y with Point of h Base

In summary, the conversation is about solving equations involving x and y. The equations provided are x + y = c, x^2 + h^2 = a^2, and y^2 + h^2 = b^2. The conversation also mentions finding x and y using the equations x = c/2 + (a^2 - b^2)/2c and y = c/2 - (a^2 - b^2)/2c. The conversation also mentions trying different methods such as swapping and rearranging equations, but not finding the solution. The conversation also mentions the hint that x^2 - y^2 = (x+y)(x-y) and x-y = (a^2-b^
raining Pete
Hello all, was wondering if you fine chaps / ladies could help with a bit of algebra. Annoyed it's had to come to this but alas my algebra levels keep leading me astray.

c7OPLoi.png

## x + y = c ##
## x^2 + h^2 = a^2 ##
## y^2 + h^2 = b^2 ##

I've been reading Measurements - Paul Lockhart (wish i picked this up 10 years ago) and the swine asks to first find x and y 'see if you can rearrange the equations to get':

## x = c/2 + (a^2 - b^2)/2c ##
## y = c/2 - (a^2 - b^2)/2c ##

After this it is to find h but i would like know the algebra behind finding x and y. I've swapped, rearranged and been all over the place, never the above though. For example,

## x^2 - y^2 = a^2 - b^2 ## ==>
## -x(x-1) + y^2 + y = c - a^2 - b^2 ## ==> etc,

trying quadratics, generally leading to nowhere or something else entirely.

Thanks for any help if given.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hint: x2 - y2 = (x+y)(x-y)

Bystander said:
Hint: x2 - y2 = (x+y)(x-y)
Oh man, he was going on about Babylonian differences of squares three pages back. o0)

Cheers Bystander.

raining Pete said:
Hello all, was wondering if you fine chaps / ladies could help with a bit of algebra. Annoyed it's had to come to this but alas my algebra levels keep leading me astray.

c7OPLoi.png

## x + y = c ##
## x^2 + h^2 = a^2 ##
## y^2 + h^2 = b^2 ##

I've been reading Measurements - Paul Lockhart (wish i picked this up 10 years ago) and the swine asks to first find x and y 'see if you can rearrange the equations to get':

## x = c/2 + (a^2 - b^2)/2c ##
## y = c/2 - (a^2 - b^2)/2c ##

After this it is to find h but i would like know the algebra behind finding x and y. I've swapped, rearranged and been all over the place, never the above though. For example,

## x^2 - y^2 = a^2 - b^2 ## ==>
## -x(x-1) + y^2 + y = c - a^2 - b^2 ## ==> etc,

trying quadratics, generally leading to nowhere or something else entirely.

Thanks for any help if given.
[itex]x^2-y^2=a^2-b^2[/itex]
[itex]x^2-y^2=(x+y)(x-y)=c(x-y)[/itex]
therefore [itex]x-y=\frac{a^2-b^2}{c}[/itex]

You can easily get x and y.

1. What is algebra and why is it important?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the manipulation of symbols and equations to solve for unknown quantities. It is important because it provides a foundation for higher level math and is used in various fields such as science, engineering, and economics.

2. What is trigonometry and how is it related to algebra?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of triangles and the relationships between their sides and angles. It is closely related to algebra as it uses algebraic equations to solve for unknown sides and angles in a triangle.

3. What does it mean to solve for x and y in trigonometry?

Solving for x and y in trigonometry means finding the values of these variables given the information about a triangle, such as its sides and angles. This allows us to determine the exact location of a point on the coordinate plane.

4. How do you solve for x and y using the point of h base method?

The point of h base method is a trigonometric method that uses the coordinates of a point on a triangle's base to solve for the values of x and y. This involves using trigonometric ratios such as sine, cosine, and tangent to find the missing sides and angles of the triangle.

5. Can you provide an example of solving for x and y using the point of h base method?

For example, if we are given a right triangle with one angle of 30 degrees and a side of 3 units, and we are asked to find the coordinates of a point on the base with a distance of 4 units from the vertex, we can use the point of h base method to solve for x and y. By using the sine ratio, we can find that the length of the base is 8 units, and then using the cosine ratio, we can determine that the coordinates of the point are (8, 4).