1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig problem help!

1. Oct 15, 2007 #1
    I'm hoping someone could help me on this homework problem. I look in the book but it doesn't have anything like this one in there. I'm really bad at math so if this problem is kid's stuff to you please lend a helping hand!

The terminal side of angle Θ in standard position lies on the line -x - 6y = 0 in quadrant IV. Find all trigonometric function values of Θ. Give the exact answers.

Any help is appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Have you drawn a picture of this? In quadrant 4, both x is positive and y is negative for any point (x,y). To Make the calculations easier, pick y= -1. Then -x- 6(-1)= -x+ 6= 0 so x= 6. Mark that point on a graph and drop a perpendicular to the x-axis. No you have a right triangle with sides from (0,0) to (6,0) and from (0,0) to (-1, 0). The hypotenuse runs from (0,0) to (6, -1). Find the lengths of those 3 sides and you can easily find all trig functions. (Don't forget to include the signs.)

4. Oct 16, 2007 #3
    ^ that's the right way to go about it

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook