Trig Problem: Find Exact Trig Function Values of Θ in Quadrant IV

• Thread starter tnatna
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem involving finding the trigonometric function values of an angle in quadrant IV. The person asking for help is struggling with math and is looking for assistance. Another person suggests drawing a diagram and using a specific method to solve the problem.
tnatna
I'm hoping someone could help me on this homework problem. I look in the book but it doesn't have anything like this one in there. I'm really bad at math so if this problem is kid's stuff to you please lend a helping hand!

The terminal side of angle Θ in standard position lies on the line -x - 6y = 0 in quadrant IV. Find all trigonometric function values of Θ. Give the exact answers.

Any help is appreciated!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Have you drawn a picture of this? In quadrant 4, both x is positive and y is negative for any point (x,y). To Make the calculations easier, pick y= -1. Then -x- 6(-1)= -x+ 6= 0 so x= 6. Mark that point on a graph and drop a perpendicular to the x-axis. No you have a right triangle with sides from (0,0) to (6,0) and from (0,0) to (-1, 0). The hypotenuse runs from (0,0) to (6, -1). Find the lengths of those 3 sides and you can easily find all trig functions. (Don't forget to include the signs.)

^ that's the right way to go about it

1. What is a quadrant?

A quadrant is one of the four regions formed by the x-axis and y-axis on a coordinate plane.

2. How do you determine which quadrant a point is in?

To determine which quadrant a point is in, you look at the signs of its coordinates. In Quadrant IV, both the x-coordinate and y-coordinate are positive.

3. What are the trigonometric functions?

The trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, tangent, cotangent, secant, and cosecant. They relate the sides and angles of a right triangle.

4. How do you find the exact value of a trigonometric function in Quadrant IV?

In Quadrant IV, the reference angle is the angle formed by the terminal side of the angle and the x-axis. To find the exact value of a trigonometric function, you can use the values of the reference angle and the Pythagorean theorem.

5. What is the Pythagorean theorem?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides.