Breaking Through the Coulomb Barrier: Solving an Equation

In summary, the task at hand is to prove the statement A coth(2ax) + B cosech(2ax)= (A+B)/2 tanh(ax)+(A-B)/2 coth(ax) using relevant identities and equations. The attempt at a solution involved starting from the right hand side and using double angle formulas, but ultimately it was necessary to start from the left hand side and use the coth and cosech identities in terms of cosh and sinh. This led to a solution without needing to use the double angle formulas at all.
calum.g
im generating potentials, however the coulomb is proving tricky. stumbling block is finding a way to write

A coth(2x) + B cosech(2x)= (A+B)/2 tanh(x)+(A_B)/2 coth(x)

i am at the RHS and need to get the tanh to come out which I am told can be done.
the a's and b's might not be quite right but the trig functions are what I am after

Physics news on Phys.org

Homework Statement

something like
the a's and b's may not be right but the trig is what's important

Homework Equations

anything

The Attempt at a Solution

calum.g said:

Homework Statement

something like
the a's and b's may not be right but the trig is what's important

Homework Equations

anything

The Attempt at a Solution

What do you mean "something like?" If you need to prove some statement, give us exactly the statement that needs to be proved.

What equations are relevant to this problem?

What have you tried? Before anyone can give you any help, you need to show some effort at working the problem.

Use the identities [itex]\cosh(2x)=\sinh^2(x)+cosh^2(x)[/itex], [itex]\sinh(2x)=2\cosh(x)\sinh(x)[/itex] and [itex]\cosh^2 (2x)-\sinh^2(2x)=1[/itex].

the exact statement is

A coth(2ax) + B cosech(2ax)= (A+B)/2 tanh(ax)+(A-B)/2 coth(ax)

i have tried using the double angle formulas but seem to be going in circles

am i better off going from the RHS to LHS?

need to show

(1) A coth(2ax) - B cosech(2ax)= (A+B)/2 tanh(ax)+(A-B)/2 coth(ax)

starting from the RHS

(2) A/2 (1+tanh^2(ax))/tanh(ax) - B/2 cosech(ax)sech(ax)
(3) A/2 coth(ax) + A/2 tanh(ax) - B/2 cosech(ax)sech(ax)

from here i just starting going in circles
from line 2 i could have instead gone to

A/2 coth(ax) (2-sech^2(ax))- B/2 cosech(ax)sech(ax)
A coth(ax) -A/2 coth(ax)sech^2(ax)- B/2 cosech(ax)sech(ax)
A coth(ax) -A/2 (cosech(ax) / sech(ax)) sech^2(ax)- B/2 cosech(ax)sech(ax)
A coth(ax) -A/2 cosech(ax) sech(ax)- B/2 cosech(ax)sech(ax)
A coth(ax) -(A+B)/2 cosech(ax) sech(ax)

i don't see any other openings

calum.g said:
need to show

(1) A coth(2ax) - B cosech(2ax)= (A+B)/2 tanh(ax)+(A-B)/2 coth(ax)

starting from the RHS

(2) A/2 (1+tanh^2(ax))/tanh(ax) - B/2 cosech(ax)sech(ax)
How did you get to (2) from the right side of (1)? 1 + tanh2(ax) = sech2(ax). If I were doing this, I'd start on the left side and see if I could make it look like the right side.
calum.g said:
(3) A/2 coth(ax) + A/2 tanh(ax) - B/2 cosech(ax)sech(ax)

from here i just starting going in circles
from line 2 i could have instead gone to

A/2 coth(ax) (2-sech^2(ax))- B/2 cosech(ax)sech(ax)
A coth(ax) -A/2 coth(ax)sech^2(ax)- B/2 cosech(ax)sech(ax)
A coth(ax) -A/2 (cosech(ax) / sech(ax)) sech^2(ax)- B/2 cosech(ax)sech(ax)
A coth(ax) -A/2 cosech(ax) sech(ax)- B/2 cosech(ax)sech(ax)
A coth(ax) -(A+B)/2 cosech(ax) sech(ax)

i don't see any other openings
I don't know if this would work, but this is what I would try. Starting from (3) I would add (B/2)tanh(ax) - (B/2)coth(ax) and then subtract it off, with the possibility that (-B/2)tanh(ax) + (B/2)coth(ax) -(B/2)cosech(ax)sech(ax) adds up to zero. If so, that what remains is what you want to end up with.

Last edited:
sorry, i meant i started from the LHS

I should also point out i don't actually know if it possible to solve this, the paper I am reading claims it is but I am not convinced.

Start on the left hand side and write the coth and cosech in terms of cosh/sinh. Now apply the three identities from post 4 everywhere you can. And don't forget to show your attempt if you get stuck.

solved it thanks, i was being a fool

FAQ: Breaking Through the Coulomb Barrier: Solving an Equation

What is the Coulomb Barrier?

The Coulomb Barrier is a physical phenomenon in nuclear physics where the positively charged nuclei of atoms repel each other due to the electromagnetic force. This barrier makes it difficult for two positively charged particles to get close enough to undergo a nuclear reaction.

What is the equation used to solve the Coulomb Barrier?

The equation used to solve the Coulomb Barrier is known as the Coulomb's Law equation, which describes the force between two charged particles. It is given by F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where F is the force, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them.

What is the significance of breaking through the Coulomb Barrier?

Breaking through the Coulomb Barrier is a crucial step in understanding nuclear reactions and nuclear energy. It allows for the fusion of atomic nuclei, which is the process that powers the sun and other stars. It is also a necessary step in creating nuclear reactions for energy production.

How can the Coulomb Barrier be overcome?

The Coulomb Barrier can be overcome by providing enough energy to the particles to overcome the repulsive force between them. This can be done through techniques such as high temperatures, high pressures, or accelerating the particles with powerful particle accelerators.

What are some real-world applications of understanding the Coulomb Barrier?

Understanding the Coulomb Barrier has many practical applications, such as in nuclear energy production, nuclear weapons development, and medical imaging and treatment. It also helps us understand the behavior of particles in the universe and the formation of elements in stars.

Back