Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig question

1. Apr 8, 2007 #1
    How can you solve for X, an angle, if you get an equation like this?

5=2sinX + cosX

I couldn't think of any trig identities that can solve this, even though this may be extremely easy.

Can someone show me? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2007 #2
    Well, what you cay say immediately is that the solution is going to be complex. What are the maximum values of sin and cos on the reals? :wink:

4. Apr 9, 2007 #3
    srry about that...i just randomly put a few numbers down...

If the equation is like:: 2=3sinX+cosX

How would you solve that?

5. Apr 9, 2007 #4
  6. Apr 10, 2007 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's a bit complicated but you could do this: Let y= cos(X). Since [itex]sin(x)= \sqrt{1- cos^2(x)}[/itex] we have [itex]2= 3\sqrt{1- y^2}+ y[/itex]. Rewrite that as [itex]3\sqrt{1- y^2}= 2- y[/itex] and square both sides: [itex]9(1- y^2)= 4- 4y+ y^2[/itex] or [itex]9- 9y^2= 4- 4y+ y^2[/itex] so [itex]10y^2- 4y- 5= 0[/itex]. Solve that using the quadratic formula to find y= cos(X) and take the arcsine to find X.

7. Apr 10, 2007 #6
    Substitute [tex]sin(x)= \sqrt{1- cos^2(x)}[/tex] and solve the quadratic for [tex]cos(x)[/tex]. Then take the arcsine of you two solutions. Basically what HallsofIvy said.

8. Apr 10, 2007 #7
    or try to substitute :

sin(x) = 2tan(x/2)/1+tan^2(x/2)
    and
    cos(x)= (1-tan^2(x/2))/1+tan^2(x/2)

it might solve the problem !

9. Apr 10, 2007 #8
    Why not get sin on one side and cos on the other side. Square both sides (possibly introducing extraneous roots) and substituting for either sin^2 or cos^2 (using sin^2+cos^2=1). This would result in a quadratic equation. Check the solutions.

10. Apr 10, 2007 #9

danago

Gold Member

You could write it in the form of [tex]2=Acos(x-\theta)[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?