Solving trigonometry equations

• MHB
  • Thread starter fordy2707
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trigonometry
In summary, the solution to the equation is x=\left( \begin{array}{cc}\frac{2\pi}{3} + 2\pi n \\ \frac{4\pi}{3} + 2\pi n \end{array}\right)
fordy2707
Hi all, can you show me how to calculate this and breakdown how you get to the answer for me to Understand ,I have been shown what is believed to be the answer from the notes but not a clue How it was reached.

Find all the solutions to the following equation at interval 0,6PI

cos(x) + 2cos^2(x)=0

=

Cosx(1+2cosx)=0
Cosx=cos(pie/2)
X=2npie+_pie/2
Cosx=cos(2pie/3)

Many thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
fordy2707 said:
Hi all, can you show me how to calculate this and breakdown how you get to the answer for me to Understand ,I have been shown what is believed to be the answer from the notes but not a clue How it was reached.

Find all the solutions to the following equation at interval 0,6PI

cos(x) + 2cos^2(x)=0

=

Cosx(1+2cosx)=0
Cosx=cos(pie/2)
X=2npie+_pie/2
Cosx=cos(2pie/3)

Many thanks
your approach is good. 1st you need to find a particular solution then from it all solutions in the given range.

$\cos(x)(1+2\cos(x)) = 0$
gives $\cos(x) = 0$ and we have particular solution $x = \dfrac{\pi}{2}$ givinin solution in the range
$x = \dfrac{\pi}{2}+ n \pi $ ( n is from 0 to 5) and ,$x =- \dfrac{\pi}{2}+ n \pi $ ( n is from 1 to 6) so that value is in the range

2nd set of solution
$\cos(x) = \frac{-1}{2}$ or $ x= \frac{2\pi}{3}$ particular solution

$x = \dfrac{2\pi}{3}+ n \pi $ ( n is from 0 to 5) and ,$x =- \dfrac{2\pi}{3}+ n \pi $ ( n is from 1 to 6) so that value is in the range

0-6PI is that the equivalent of 3 full cycles ,1080 degress ?

fordy2707 said:
Cosx(1+2cosx)=0
Cosx=cos(pie/2)
X=2npie+_pie/2
Cosx=cos(2pie/3)
(Shake) \(\displaystyle \pi\) is spelled "pi." Pie refers to something you eat for breakfast. (Sun)

-Dan

fordy2707 said:
Hi all, can you show me how to calculate this
and breakdown how you get to the answer for me to Understand.
I have been shown what is believed to be the answer from the notes but not a clue how it was reached.

Find all the solutions to the following equation at interval [tex](0,\,6\pi).[/tex]

. . [tex]\cos(x) + 2\cos^2(x) \;=\;0[/tex]

You have a quadratic equation.

Factor: .[tex]\cos x(1 + 2\cos x) \;=\;0[/tex]

Set each factor equal to zero and solve.

. . [tex]\cos x \;=\;0 \quad\Rightarrow\quad x \;=\;\tfrac{\pi}{2} + \pi n[/tex]

. . [tex]1 + 2\cos x \:=\:0 \quad\Rightarrow\quad \cos x \:=\:-\tfrac{1}{2} \quad\Rightarrow\quad x \:=\:\left( \begin{array}{cc}\frac{2\pi}{3} + 2\pi n \\ \frac{4\pi}{3} + 2\pi n \end{array}\right)[/tex]

1. How do you solve a basic trigonometry equation?

To solve a basic trigonometry equation, you must first identify the type of equation - whether it is a sine, cosine, or tangent equation. Next, use the inverse trigonometric functions (sin^-1, cos^-1, tan^-1) to isolate the variable on one side of the equation. Finally, use algebraic operations to solve for the variable.

2. What is the unit circle and how is it used to solve trigonometry equations?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 unit and is centered at the origin of a coordinate plane. It is used to relate the values of the sine, cosine, and tangent functions to the coordinates of a point on the circle. By understanding the unit circle, you can easily solve trigonometry equations by finding the reference angle and using the appropriate trigonometric ratio.

3. What are the common identities used to solve trigonometry equations?

The most common identities used to solve trigonometry equations are the Pythagorean identities (sin^2x + cos^2x = 1 and tan^2x + 1 = sec^2x) and the reciprocal identities (cscx = 1/sinx, secx = 1/cosx, cotx = 1/tanx). These identities can be used to simplify expressions and equations, making them easier to solve.

4. How do you solve trigonometry equations with multiple angles?

To solve trigonometry equations with multiple angles, you can use the sum and difference formulas for sine, cosine, and tangent. These formulas allow you to rewrite the equation in terms of one angle, which can then be solved using the methods mentioned in the previous questions.

5. How do you check your solutions for trigonometry equations?

To check your solutions for trigonometry equations, you can use a calculator or manually plug in the value of the variable into the equation. It is important to remember that trigonometric functions have periodicity, so there may be multiple solutions for an equation. You should also check if your solutions satisfy any given restrictions, such as a specific range of values for the variable.