S: Math Help - Solving Trig Quiz Problem

• Thread starter dextercioby
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quiz Trig
In summary, the problem proposed was to compute sin(pi/5) using only trigonometry and algebra. The solution involves expanding sin(5theta) in terms of sin(theta) using the addition and triple angle formulas, then solving for a reducible quintic equation. The final answer is given as the square root of (1/8)(5-sqrt(5)).
dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
I proposed this problem on a thread in the homework section.I honestly do not know the answer...

"Compute [tex] \sin\frac{\pi}{5} [/tex] using trigonometry and algebra only."

Daniel.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's actually fairly simple. I haven't worked it all the way out to the bitter end, but I've verified my method and it works.

Expand [tex]\sin 5\theta[/tex] = [tex]\sin(3\theta + 2\theta)[/tex] in terms of [tex]\sin \theta[/tex]. You would just use the addition formula followed by expanding each of the terms with the triple and double angle formulae.

All the terms with powers of [tex]\cos\theta[/tex] will have even powers of the cosine, so they can easily be converted to even powers of sine with [tex]\cos^2\theta = 1 - \sin^2\theta[/tex].

You will eventually get a reducible quintic in terms of sine theta. Let [itex]s = \sin\theta[/itex]

[tex]\sin 5\theta = 16s^5 - 20s^3 + 5s[/tex]

Equate that to zero (since [itex]\sin\pi = 0[/itex]) and solve.

Dismissing [itex]s = 0[/itex], it becomes a quartic which is actually a quadratic in [itex]s^2[/itex], which you can solve to get :

[tex]s^2 = \frac{1}{8}(5 \pm \sqrt{5})[/tex]

One of the values (with the plus sign is a redundant root).

EDIT : I've not yet found a way to determine the explicit value of [itex]s[/itex] from that expression. I keep getting ugly expressions with more roots of surds. I'm still working on this part, but for now, my answer is :

[tex]\sin{\frac{\pi}{5}} = \sqrt{\frac{1}{8}(5 - \sqrt{5})}[/tex]

Last edited:
And, as a matter of fact,

[tex]\cos{\frac{\pi}{5}} = \frac{1}{2}\phi[/tex]

where [tex]\phi = \frac{1}{2}(1 + \sqrt{5})[/tex], the golden ratio. But the expression for the sine still involves squaring that, subtracting the result from unity, and taking the root, and I cannot find a way to simplify that.

What is trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships and properties of triangles and the angles within them. It is used to solve problems involving triangles, such as finding the length of a side or the measure of an angle.

What is the sine function?

The sine function is a mathematical function that relates the ratio of the length of the side opposite an angle in a right triangle to the length of the hypotenuse. It is commonly denoted as sin(x) or sinθ, where x or θ represents the measure of the angle.

How do I solve a trigonometry problem?

To solve a trigonometry problem, you can use the trigonometric functions (sine, cosine, tangent, etc.) and the known values of the sides and angles of a triangle. You can also use trigonometric identities and formulas to simplify the problem and find the solution.

What is the unit circle?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 unit that is centered at the origin on a coordinate plane. It is commonly used in trigonometry to visualize and solve problems involving angles and trigonometric functions.

What is the difference between radians and degrees?

Radians and degrees are two units of measurement for angles. Radians are based on the length of the arc of a circle, while degrees are based on dividing a circle into 360 equal parts. Radians are often used in advanced trigonometry, calculus, and physics, while degrees are more commonly used in everyday situations.