Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig quiz math help

1. Jan 13, 2005 #1

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I proposed this problem on a thread in the homework section.I honestly do not know the answer...

"Compute [tex] \sin\frac{\pi}{5} [/tex] using trigonometry and algebra only."

Daniel.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2005 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

It's actually fairly simple. I haven't worked it all the way out to the bitter end, but I've verified my method and it works.

Expand [tex]\sin 5\theta[/tex] = [tex]\sin(3\theta + 2\theta)[/tex] in terms of [tex]\sin \theta[/tex]. You would just use the addition formula followed by expanding each of the terms with the triple and double angle formulae.

All the terms with powers of [tex]\cos\theta[/tex] will have even powers of the cosine, so they can easily be converted to even powers of sine with [tex]\cos^2\theta = 1 - \sin^2\theta[/tex].

You will eventually get a reducible quintic in terms of sine theta. Let [itex]s = \sin\theta[/itex]

[tex]\sin 5\theta = 16s^5 - 20s^3 + 5s[/tex]

Equate that to zero (since [itex]\sin\pi = 0[/itex]) and solve.

Dismissing [itex]s = 0[/itex], it becomes a quartic which is actually a quadratic in [itex]s^2[/itex], which you can solve to get :

[tex]s^2 = \frac{1}{8}(5 \pm \sqrt{5})[/tex]

One of the values (with the plus sign is a redundant root).

EDIT : I've not yet found a way to determine the explicit value of [itex]s[/itex] from that expression. I keep getting ugly expressions with more roots of surds. I'm still working on this part, but for now, my answer is :

[tex]\sin{\frac{\pi}{5}} = \sqrt{\frac{1}{8}(5 - \sqrt{5})}[/tex]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2005
  4. Jan 13, 2005 #3

Curious3141

Homework Helper

And, as a matter of fact,

[tex]\cos{\frac{\pi}{5}} = \frac{1}{2}\phi[/tex]

where [tex]\phi = \frac{1}{2}(1 + \sqrt{5})[/tex], the golden ratio. But the expression for the sine still involves squaring that, subtracting the result from unity, and taking the root, and I cannot find a way to simplify that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?