Trig should I start by squaring both side?

• Thread starter jrjack
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the conversation revolves around solving the equation tan(4t-7t)=1+tan(7t)tan(4t) in the interval [0,pi). The discussion includes using the addition/subtraction formula for tangent, considering the properties of the tangent function, and finding the appropriate interval for the solution. The final solutions are t=-pi/12 and -5pi/12.
jrjack
Trig...should I start by squaring both side?

Homework Statement

Fing the solutions that are in the interval [itex][0,2\pi)[/itex]

[tex]\tan 4t-\tan 7t=1+\tan 7t\tan 4t[/tex]

Homework Equations

Use an addition or subtraction formula.
[tex]\tan(a+b)=\frac{\tan a+\tan b}{1-\tan a\tan b}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Should I start by squaring both sides, or move everything to one side and set equal to 0?
I tried both ways and I'm stuck after that step either way.

Physics news on Phys.org

You can use the addition/subtraction formula if you can make the left hand side 1 by the appropriate division.

Is tan odd or even?

What happens when you let b be negative?

I'm not sure I understand what to divide by to get 1 on the left.

What would you divide 5 by to get 1 as the result?

Oh... now I'm starting to get it, but would I be better served to make the right side 1?
By dividing by[tex]1+\tan 7t\tan 4t[/tex]

leaving me with the subtraction formula.

The left hand side you are left with will easily give a value if the arctan function is applied to it, which is ideal in this case since you can use the subtraction formula.

We haven't made it to the arctan function yet. How does this flip my fraction on the left and what will this do to the right side?

So you made the right side 1? In doing so you must have made the left side into the form of the subtraction formula. In other words you can express that side in terms of just a single tan function. Did you get till here?

Yes, I have [tex]\tan(4t-7t)=1[/tex][tex]\tan(-3t)=1[/tex]
For [tex]\tan(x)=1, x=\frac{\pi}{4}, \frac{5\pi}{4}[/tex]
then dividing by -3 ?
I get [tex]t=-\frac{\pi}{12}, and -\frac{5\pi}{12}[/tex]

something doesn't look right?

The values you got are correct, but not in the interval the question asks for.

How else can tan(-3t) be written? (Is it an even or an odd function?)

Sorry the question was [0,pi), not 2pi.
and tan it is even. -tan(3t)

So now you have to solve the equation tan(3t)=(-1). Do you know where tan has the value -1 on the given interval?

Yes, I forgot to divide by -1 to move the neg to the right side and solve for 3pi/4 and 7pi/4. Got it now.
Thanks.

jrjack said:
Sorry the question was [0,pi), not 2pi.
and tan it is even. -tan(3t)
No, the tangent function is odd, which makes tan(-3t) = -tan(3t), which is what you have.

jrjack said:
Yes, I forgot to divide by -1 to move the neg to the right side and solve for 3pi/4 and 7pi/4. Got it now.
Thanks.

Don't forget that you are first calculating a value for 3t, which you will then divide by 3 to get your final answers for t, so some possible answers that at first may appear to be too big, will reduce into the required range once you have divided by 3.

Peter

PeterO said:
Don't forget that you are first calculating a value for 3t, which you will then divide by 3 to get your final answers for t, so some possible answers that at first may appear to be too big, will reduce into the required range once you have divided by 3.

Peter

Thanks.

1. Why do we square both sides in trigonometry?

When solving equations in trigonometry, we often encounter equations with variables on both sides. Squaring both sides allows us to eliminate the radical or trigonometric function on one side, making it easier to solve for the variable.

2. Is it always necessary to square both sides in trigonometry?

No, it is not always necessary to square both sides. It depends on the specific equation and what you are trying to solve for. If the equation can be solved without squaring both sides, then it is not necessary.

3. What are the steps to squaring both sides in trigonometry?

The steps to squaring both sides in trigonometry are: 1) Identify the equation with variables on both sides, 2) Square both sides of the equation using the power rule, 3) Simplify and solve for the variable.

4. Can we square both sides of any trigonometric equation?

Yes, we can square both sides of any trigonometric equation as long as we apply the power rule correctly. However, it is important to keep in mind that squaring both sides may introduce extraneous solutions, so it is important to check your solutions afterwards.

5. Are there any other methods to solve equations in trigonometry without squaring both sides?

Yes, there are other methods to solve equations in trigonometry without squaring both sides, such as using trigonometric identities or factoring. It is important to choose the most efficient method for each specific equation.