Trig substitution integration problem, test in 1hr 30min

In summary, the conversation is about solving a trig substitution problem involving the integral of √(9-x²) / (x²). The solution involves using the substitution u = asinΘ and x = 3sinΘ, and then rewriting the equation in terms of Θ. The correct solution is found to be (x/3)ln(x/3)-ln(3/x+(√9-x²/x)), but there is some confusion about the steps involved in getting to this solution. It is mentioned that integrals can have different forms of answers, but they all have a common output.
kdizzle711

Homework Statement

√(9-x²) / (x²)

Homework Equations

Just trig substitution

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, for trig sub I did

u=asinΘ
x=3sinΘ
9-x²=9-9sin²=9(1-sin²Θ)
so putting it into the equation

√9cos²Θ=3cosΘ/x^2

where do I go from here, I tried getting help at Math forum, but they were complete tools. Plus I have had a good experience with this site in the past

Physics news on Phys.org
You do understand, don't you that many of the people who post here, also post at other forums?

Since you say this is an integral, √(9-x²) / (x²) is NOT the problem statement: it has to be something like [itex]\int \sqrt{9- x^2}/x^2 dx[/itex].

Yes, with [itex]x= 3sin(\theta)[/itex] [itex]\sqrt{9- x^2}= 3\sqrt{1- sin^2(\theta)}= 3cos(\theta)[/itex]. Now, what is x2 in terms of [itex]\theta[/itex]. You need to replace that too. And what is dx? You need to write that in terms of [itex]\theta[/itex].

I still think I am making a mistake somewhere

I did
x²=9sin²Θ

so------- 3cosΘ/9sin²Θ= (1/3)cotΘcscΘ

int(1/3)cotΘcscΘ

=(x/3)ln(sinu)-ln(cscu+cotu)
using the triangle i found
(x/3)ln(x/3)-ln(3/x+(√9-x²/x))

I forgot to take into acount the dx, but when I do i get

(3cosΘ/9sin²Θ)*(3cosΘ)=9cos²Θ/9sin²Θ= cot²

but the integral of cot is ln(sinU) or it can be -ln(cscu)

I am stuck

x = 3siny

dx = 3cosy dy

(9-9siny^2)^1/2. 3cosy dy/9siny^2

(9-9siny^2) = 9cosy^2 because cosy^2 + sin ^2 = 1, multiply both sides by 9.

it becomes

3cosy . 3 cos y dy / 9 siny^2

9cosy^2 dy / 9 siny^2

it becomes cosy^2 dy / sin^2 which is coty^2 dy

but 1 + coty^2 = cscy^2. coty^2 = cscy^2 - 1

now integrate this cscy^2 - 1

you get -cot(y) - y.

I am not so sure about my solution.

The right answer is here, but I'm not sure which steps i am messing up

http://integrals.wolfram.com/index.j...%2F%28x%5E2%29 [Broken]

Integrals can have many forms of answers and this one is one of them but what they share is that they have common output.

Last edited by a moderator:
What Racer has done/said is correct; in this case, his solution is right, and integrals can be of different form. I agree after having made an error the first time :S

Last edited:

1. What is a trig substitution integration problem?

A trig substitution integration problem involves using trigonometric identities and substitution techniques to solve a complex integral. It is a common type of integration problem in calculus.

2. How do I approach a trig substitution integration problem?

The first step is to identify the appropriate substitution based on the form of the integral. Common substitutions include using the identities sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1 or tan^2(x) + 1 = sec^2(x). Once the substitution is made, the integral can be evaluated using standard integration techniques.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a trig substitution integration problem?

Some common mistakes include forgetting to substitute back in the original variable at the end, not using the correct trigonometric identity, and missing a negative sign in front of the square root term.

4. How should I prepare for a trig substitution integration problem on a test?

Practice solving a variety of problems and make sure you have a solid understanding of the different trigonometric identities and their derivatives. It can also be helpful to create a cheat sheet with the most commonly used substitutions and identities.

5. How much time should I spend on a trig substitution integration problem during a test?

It is recommended to spend no more than 10-15 minutes on a single problem during a test. If you are struggling to make progress, it may be best to move on and come back to it later. Time management is key in successfully completing a test with a limited time frame.