Trig substitution integration?

In summary, the given integral can be solved by first substituting x=tanθ, then using the identity cos^2θ=1/2(1+cos2θ), integrating, and finally substituting back to x=tanθ.
emlekarc

Homework Statement

Integrate dx/((x^2+1)^2)

Homework Equations

Tan^2=sec^2-1

The Attempt at a Solution

So I let x=tanx then dx=sec^2x

Then plugging everything in;

Sec^2(x)/(tan^2+1)^2

So it's sec^2/(sec^2x)^2) which is sec^2x/sec^4x

Canceling out the sec^2 gives you

1/sec^2x

Integrate: ln(sec^2x)+C

Is that right?

Physics news on Phys.org
emlekarc said:

Homework Statement

Integrate dx/((x^2+1)^2)

Homework Equations

Tan^2=sec^2-1

Don't use the same letter in a change of variables. Let ##y=\tan x## so ##dy=\sec^2x dx##.
[Edit, corrections follow] I meant ##x = \tan y## so ##dx =\sec^2 y dy##.

Sec^2(x)/(tan^2+1)^2

1/sec^2x

Is that right?

No. That isn't its antiderivative.

Last edited:
emlekarc said:

Homework Statement

Integrate dx/((x^2+1)^2)

Homework Equations

Tan^2=sec^2-1

Sec^2(x)/(tan^2+1)^2

1/sec^2x

Is that right?

Like the man said, use another variable: Let $x=\tan\theta\Rightarrow dx=\sec^2\theta d\theta$ and the integral becomes

[tex]\int\frac{dx}{\left(1+x^2\right) ^2}=\int\frac{\sec^2\theta d\theta}{\left(1+\tan^2 x\right) ^2}=\int\frac{d\theta}{\sec^2\theta}=\int\cos^2\theta\, d\theta[/tex]

now use the identity [itex]\cos^2\theta=\frac{1}{2}\left( 1+\cos 2\theta\right)[/itex] to integrate w.r.t. [itex]\theta[/itex] then use [itex]x=\tan\theta[/itex] to rewrite the functions of [itex]\theta[/itex] as functions of [itex]x[/itex].

1. What is trig substitution integration?

Trig substitution integration is a technique used to evaluate integrals that involve trigonometric functions. It involves substituting trigonometric expressions in place of variables in the integral to simplify the integration process.

2. When should I use trig substitution integration?

Trig substitution integration is typically used when the integral involves expressions with square roots and/or a combination of trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, or tangent. It can also be used for integrals involving rational functions.

3. How do I choose which trigonometric substitution to use?

Choosing the correct trigonometric substitution depends on the form of the integral. There are several common substitutions, such as using sinθ, cosθ, or tanθ. The choice will often be dictated by the presence of a particular trigonometric expression in the integral.

4. What are the steps for performing a trig substitution integration?

The general steps for trig substitution integration are as follows: 1) Identify the form of the integral, 2) Choose an appropriate trigonometric substitution, 3) Substitute in the chosen trigonometric expression, 4) Simplify the integral using trigonometric identities, 5) Integrate the simplified expression, and 6) Substitute back in the original variables to obtain the final solution.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using trig substitution integration?

One common mistake to avoid is forgetting to substitute back in the original variables at the end. It is also important to carefully simplify the integral using trigonometric identities before integrating. Additionally, it is important to choose the correct substitution and be familiar with the various trigonometric identities to avoid errors in the integration process.