1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trigonometry help

1. Jan 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If sin x = 1/3 and sec y = 5/4, where x and y lie between 0 and pi/2, evaluate the expression.

2. Relevant equations
    2siny = 2siny*cosy?

cos2y = cos^2 y - sin^2 y?

3. The attempt at a solution

I think sin2y goes to 2siny*cosy. I know what sin x is but how do I find sin y? The answer should be 24/25 for siny, but not sure how to get it. Not sure what the answer is or how to get it for cos2y.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2010 #2

Staff: Mentor

First thing you should do is to draw two right triangles, one with an angle x and the other with an angle y. In the first triangle, you have that sin x = 1/3, so make the side opposite angle x 1 unit, and make the hypotenuse 3 units. You should be able to figure out the length of the side adjacent to angle x, so you can determine cos x.

For the other triangle, you're given that sec y = 5/4, so cos y = 4/5 (sec y = 1/(cos y)). In that triangle, label the hypotenuse 5 units and the adjacent side 4 units. What does the side opposite y need to be? Once you find it, you can find sin y.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook