Finding Vector Components using Trigonometry

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the X and Y components of a given vector. The individual first attempted to use tangent and then the Pythagorean theorem, but was advised to use sine and cosine instead. The final values for Fx and Fy were determined to be 47.4 km and 139 km, respectively.
C42711
[PLAIN]http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/449/physicsu.png
By c42711 at 2011-10-30

I am supposed to find the X and Y components of the above vector. What I tried to do first was dot in a line, forming a triangle. I then tried to find the length of that line using tangent. I got 431.8, but I am not sure that is right. Next, I used the Pythagorean theorem to try to find the X and Y components, I got some crazy numbers, so I know I'm doing something wrong. Any help would be fantastic. Please & thank you.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Tangent is not the correct function to use. 147km is the hypotenuse of the triangle.

You'd need to use sine for the vertical and cosine for the horizontal. The sine of the angle is y / the hypotenuse, so y = sin71.2 * h. Similarly, x = cos71.2 * h. Hope that helps.

So I tried that and got:
Fx= 47.4 km
Fy= 139 km

Does that seem correct?

Yeah, those are the correct values.

Than you so much, you're the best.:)

Related to Finding Vector Components using Trigonometry

1. What are vectors in trigonometry?

Vectors in trigonometry are quantities that have both magnitude and direction. They are often represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude. In trigonometry, vectors are used to represent forces, velocities, and displacements.

2. How are vectors used in trigonometry?

Vectors are used in trigonometry to solve problems involving angles and distance. They can be added, subtracted, and multiplied to find the magnitude and direction of a resulting vector. Vectors are also used to represent complex numbers, making them useful in solving trigonometric equations.

3. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector in trigonometry?

A scalar in trigonometry is a quantity that only has magnitude, such as distance or temperature. A vector, on the other hand, has both magnitude and direction. In other words, a vector is a combination of a magnitude (represented by a number) and a direction (represented by an angle).

4. How do you find the magnitude of a vector in trigonometry?

The magnitude of a vector can be found using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the length of the hypotenuse of a right triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In trigonometry, the magnitude of a vector is represented by the length of the arrow representing the vector.

5. Can trigonometry be used to solve problems involving 3D vectors?

Yes, trigonometry can be used to solve problems involving 3D vectors. In addition to using the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of a 3D vector, trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent can be used to find the angles and distances between vectors in 3D space.