Triple integral depending on a parameter

In summary, the integral \iiint (x^{2n} + y^{2n} + z^{2n})\,dV can be evaluated by using spherical polar coordinates and taking advantage of symmetry and the formula for integrals of powers of sine and cosine. For n = 1, the integral represents the sum of inertias of a sphere with unit density about the three coordinate axes.
Draconian28

Homework Statement

Find [tex] \iiint (x^{2n} + y^{2n} + z^{2n})\,dV [/tex] where the integral is taken over the region of 3D space where [tex] x^{2} + y^{2} + z^{2} \leq 1 [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried doing this in Cartesian coordinates, but the limits of integration got very messy and I got stuck after doing the first integral. I also tried using spherical polar coordinates, and then the limits of integration are quite simple, but the integrand gets complicated, unless [itex] n = 1 [/itex], in which case the integral is quite easy to do.

I then thought that, since the only case where this looks simple enough to do directly is [itex] n = 1 [/itex], I could try to make a conjecture as to what the value of the integral is for general n and then try to prove it by induction. The problem with that, though, is that I don't see how to go from the case [itex] n = k + 1 [/itex] to the case [itex] n = k [/itex].

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't tried it myself yet, and the wife wants the computer just now, but have you tried spherical coordinates? That would be the natural first choice. May or may not work...

[Edit later] I think you can work it with spherical coordinates using symmetry and the formula$$
\int_0^\frac \pi 2 \sin^n x\, dx =\int_0^\frac \pi 2 \cos^n x\, dx =
\frac{1\cdot 3\cdot 5\cdot\cdot\cdot(n-1)}{2\cdot 4\cdot 6\cdot\cdot\cdot n}\frac \pi 2 $$which is valid for ##n## even and ##n \ge 2##.

Last edited:
This integral covers the volume enclosed by a sphere with radius = 1. It can be broken up into the sum of its parts, since the integrand is a sum.

For n = 1, the integral will evaluate to the sum of the inertias of a sphere about the three coordinate axes, assuming a unit density for the sphere.

FAQ: Triple integral depending on a parameter

1. What is a triple integral depending on a parameter?

A triple integral depending on a parameter is a mathematical concept that involves integrating a function of three variables over a three-dimensional region, where one of the variables is a parameter that can take on different values. This type of integral is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving changing parameters, such as time or position.

2. How is a triple integral depending on a parameter different from a regular triple integral?

In a regular triple integral, all three variables are independent and the integration is performed over a fixed region. However, in a triple integral depending on a parameter, one of the variables is dependent on a parameter and the integration is performed over a variable region that changes with the parameter values.

3. What is the purpose of using a triple integral depending on a parameter?

The purpose of using a triple integral depending on a parameter is to solve problems that involve changing parameters. This allows for a more flexible and accurate solution, as the integration can take into account the changing values of the parameter.

4. What types of problems can be solved using a triple integral depending on a parameter?

A triple integral depending on a parameter can be used to solve a wide range of problems, such as finding the volume of a changing shape, calculating the work done by a changing force, or determining the mass of a changing object. It is particularly useful in physics and engineering applications.

5. What are some examples of triple integrals depending on a parameter?

One example of a triple integral depending on a parameter is calculating the work done by a force that changes with time. Another example is finding the volume of a solid that changes shape as a parameter, such as temperature, varies. Other examples include determining the center of mass of a changing object and calculating the moment of inertia of a rotating body with changing dimensions.

Back