Triple Integral in Spherical Coordinates

In summary, the integral can be evaluated by changing to spherical coordinates, but different limits must be used for the angle and radius limits.
BrownianMan
a391a6bc32586652451a6c2272a9bc.gif

Evaluate the integral by changing to spherical coordinates.

Not sure how to go about figuring out the limits of integration when changing to spherical coordinates.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to express x, y and z as functions of spherical coordinates?

Start there...

I get,

0 <= theta <= pi
0 <= phi <= pi/4
-2 <= rho <= 2

and for the integrand, I get rho^5 * cos(phi) * sin(phi).

Is this right?

Your answer is close to what I get, but I would get different limits of integration.

For the transformation, I would use:

[tex]x = r \sin \theta \cos \phi[/tex]

[tex]y = r \sin \theta \sin \phi[/tex]

[tex]z = r\cos \theta[/tex]

If you work out the "integrand", I get:

[tex]r^3 \cos \theta[/tex]

but then we're integrating the volume element, which in spherical coordinates works out to: [tex]r^2\sin \theta dr d\theta d\phi[/tex], so the full quantity under the integral sign would be:

[tex]r^5 \sin \theta \cos \theta dr d\theta d\phi[/tex]

which I think is what you got.

I would just say:

(a) I don't think you can have "negative" radii;
(b) I'm not sure where your phi = pi/4 comes from.

So check the limits of integration...

Would it be,

0 <= theta <= 2pi
0 <= phi <= 2pi
0 <= rho <= 2

The radius limits are correct.

We start at 0, and move out to a radius of 2.

For the angle limits, consider the following:

Start at the origin (0,0,0) and move up the z-axis to 2: (0,0,2).

Now, move the radius vector "down" (i.e, rotate it), until instead of pointing "up", it's now pointing along the "down" axis, i.e., it's at (0,0,-2)... Two questions:

(a) which angle did we just rotate through? (i.e., phi or theta?)
(b) by how many radians did we rotate through?

Now we've created a "half disk", but in order to get the full sphere, we still need to rotate it through the other angle. Soo... let's do that, and by how many radians do we rotate it this time?

You have the right idea, but I think using the limits that you're using, you'll get an answer that 2x too big.

Of course, I'm not sure it matters in this particular case since I think the integral works out to 0, and 2x0 is still 0.

But it's good to understand the fundamentals of why things are the way they are.

What is a triple integral in spherical coordinates?

A triple integral in spherical coordinates is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional object that is not easily described in Cartesian coordinates. It involves integrating a function over a region in three-dimensional space using spherical coordinates, which consist of a distance from the origin, an angle from the positive z-axis, and an angle from the positive x-axis.

How is a triple integral in spherical coordinates different from a triple integral in Cartesian coordinates?

A triple integral in spherical coordinates is different from a triple integral in Cartesian coordinates because it takes into account the curvature of the coordinate system. In Cartesian coordinates, the region of integration is a rectangular box, while in spherical coordinates, it is a portion of a sphere. This allows for more flexibility in describing and calculating the volume of irregularly shaped objects.

What are the advantages of using spherical coordinates in a triple integral?

Using spherical coordinates in a triple integral can have several advantages. It can simplify the integral by eliminating terms that would be present in Cartesian coordinates. It also allows for easier visualization of the region of integration and can lead to more elegant solutions. Additionally, spherical coordinates are useful for solving problems involving physical systems with spherical symmetry, such as planets or stars.

Can a triple integral in spherical coordinates be converted to a triple integral in Cartesian coordinates?

Yes, a triple integral in spherical coordinates can be converted to a triple integral in Cartesian coordinates. This is done by using the transformation formula for converting between the two coordinate systems and adjusting the limits of integration accordingly. However, this process can be complicated and may not always be necessary or beneficial.

What are some real-world applications of triple integrals in spherical coordinates?

Triple integrals in spherical coordinates have many applications in fields such as physics and engineering. They can be used to calculate the mass, center of mass, and moment of inertia of three-dimensional objects. They are also used in electromagnetism to calculate the electric and magnetic fields of charged or magnetized objects. In astronomy, they are used to study the motion and distribution of stars and galaxies.