Triple Integral with Spherical Coordinates

In summary, the problem is to evaluate the triple integral of 1/\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}+3} over the boundary B, where B is the ball of radius 2 centered at the origin. Using spherical coordinates and the given integral limits, a substitution is needed for the integrand. However, when substituting x, y, and z with their spherical equivalents, a jumbled mess is obtained and the necessary factorization cannot be achieved.
veritaserum

Homework Statement

Evaluate [tex]\int\int\int[/tex] 1/[tex]\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}+3}[/tex] over boundary B, where B is the ball of radius 2 centered at the origin.

Homework Equations

Using spherical coordinates:
x=psin[tex]\Phi[/tex]cos[tex]\Theta[/tex]
y=psin[tex]\Phi[/tex]sin[tex]\Theta[/tex]
z=pcos[tex]\Phi[/tex]

Integral limits:
dp - [0,2]
d[tex]\Phi[/tex] - [0,[tex]\pi[/tex]]
d[tex]\Theta[/tex] - [0,2[tex]\pi[/tex]]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am just having trouble finding a good substitution for the integrand. When I substitute x,y, and z with the spherical substitutions, I just get a huge jumbled mess that I can't make any sense of.

Physics news on Phys.org
whoops sorry, the integrand should be
[tex]\frac{dV}{\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}+3}}[/tex]

veritaserum said:
When I substitute x,y, and z with the spherical substitutions, I just get a huge jumbled mess that I can't make any sense of.

Show us. And keep in mind that [itex]\sin^2\eta+\cos^2\eta=1[/itex].

lol even trying to type that out is a huge jumbled mess in itself. i understand the property you gave me, it's just that i am not able to factor out enough terms such that i leave that identity intact.

1. What is a triple integral with spherical coordinates?

A triple integral with spherical coordinates is a mathematical tool used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional region in space. It involves integrating a function over a spherical coordinate system, which uses the variables of radius, azimuthal angle, and polar angle to describe a point in space.

2. How is a triple integral with spherical coordinates different from a regular triple integral?

A triple integral with spherical coordinates is different because it uses a different coordinate system. While a regular triple integral uses the variables of x, y, and z to describe a point in space, a triple integral with spherical coordinates uses radius, azimuthal angle, and polar angle. This allows for a more efficient and simpler calculation in certain situations, such as when integrating over a spherical or cylindrical region.

3. What are the advantages of using spherical coordinates in a triple integral?

One advantage of using spherical coordinates in a triple integral is that it simplifies certain calculations. For example, if a region is defined in terms of a sphere or cylinder, the integration limits can be easily determined using spherical coordinates. Additionally, spherical coordinates are useful for solving problems involving symmetry, as they often lead to simpler and more elegant solutions.

4. How do you convert a regular triple integral to a triple integral with spherical coordinates?

To convert a regular triple integral to a triple integral with spherical coordinates, you must first substitute the variables x, y, and z with the corresponding spherical coordinates of radius, azimuthal angle, and polar angle. Then, you must also change the limits of integration to match the new coordinate system. This can be done using formulas that relate the two coordinate systems.

5. What are some real-life applications of triple integrals with spherical coordinates?

Triple integrals with spherical coordinates have numerous applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. Some examples include calculating the mass and center of mass of a solid object, finding the electric field and potential of a charged sphere, and determining the probability of an electron being in a particular region of an atom. They are also used in problems involving fluid dynamics, heat transfer, and celestial mechanics.