Triple Integral: Volume Between z+x^2+y^2=4 and x^2+y^2+z^2=6

In summary, the problem is to find the volume between two surfaces, z + x^2 + y^2 = 4 and x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 6. The intersection points of z are 2 and -1, and using polars, the range for r is 2 to 5, z is 2 to -1, and pi is 0 to 2pi. However, the bounds for r change with z: \sqrt{4-z}<r<\sqrt{6-z^2}. The cap between the two surfaces does not need to be taken into account. In polar coordinates, the domain is still considered to be in the Cartesian way.
Kuma

Homework Statement

find the volume between

z +x^2 + y^2 = 4 and x^2+y^2+z^2 = 6

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

what i did first was solve for the intersection points of z
i got 2 and -1.

then you get two equations for x^2 + y^2

x^y+y^2 = 5 and x^2+y^2=2

so then i used polars and i figure that r goes from 2 to 5, z goes from 2 to -1 and pi goes from 0 to 2pi

is that right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kuma said:
then you get two equations for x^2 + y^2

x^y+y^2 = 5 and x^2+y^2=2

so then i used polars and i figure that r goes from 2 to 5, z goes from 2 to -1 and pi goes from 0 to 2pi

is that right?

The bounds for z are correct, but the bounds of r=sqrt(x2+y2) change with z:
[tex]\sqrt{4-z}<r<\sqrt{6-z^2}[/tex]

ehild

I've attached a plot of the two surfaces. Do you also have to take into account the cap?

Attachments

• plot.png
    plot.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 398
No, just the portion in between. Thanks for the plot.

The cap is in between the two surfaces.

ehild said:
The bounds for z are correct, but the bounds of r=sqrt(x2+y2) change with z:
[tex]\sqrt{4-z}<r<\sqrt{6-z^2}[/tex]

ehild

but what if i want to make z variable doesn't r become constant?
and one more thing when we you are finding the domain in cartesian is polar coordinates also considered to be in the cartesian way ??

Yes, you can let r run between constant values and have the limits for z depend on r, if you want. Ehild's suggestion, however, will make the math simpler.

i get it 3 domains for z if i look at the figure i get it thanks

What is a triple integral?

A triple integral is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional space. It involves integrating a function over a three-dimensional region or volume.

How do you set up a triple integral?

To set up a triple integral, you first need to determine the bounds or limits for each of the three variables (x, y, and z) in the function. This can be done by solving the given equations for each variable and finding the intersection points. Then, you can set up the integral using the limits and the function.

What is the volume between two surfaces?

The volume between two surfaces is the space enclosed by the two surfaces. In this case, the two surfaces are given by the equations z+x^2+y^2=4 and x^2+y^2+z^2=6. The volume between these two surfaces can be calculated using a triple integral.

How do you solve a triple integral?

Solving a triple integral involves integrating the given function over the three-dimensional region or volume. This can be done by using the limits and the function to set up the integral, and then using integration techniques such as substitution or partial fractions to solve the integral.

What is the physical significance of a triple integral?

The physical significance of a triple integral is that it can be used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional object or space, which has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It also allows us to calculate other properties such as mass, density, and center of mass of a three-dimensional object.