Triple integration in spherical polars

In summary, the integration process for determining the value of the given expression involves first visualizing the region of integration as a unit sphere in the first quadrant and then parameterizing it in terms of spherical coordinates. The infinitesimal volume element in spherical coordinates is dV = \rho^{2} sin \phi \,d\rho\,d\theta\,d\phi, and the correct bounds for the integration are 0 ≤ ρ ≤ 1, 0 ≤ θ ≤ pi/2, and 0 ≤ φ ≤ pi/2. The result of the integration should be pi/6, which is a quarter of the volume of a unit hemisphere.
CAF123
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Determine the value of [tex] \int_{0}^{1} \int_{0}^{\sqrt{1-x^2}} \int_{0}^{\sqrt{1-x^2-y^2}} \sqrt{x^2+ y^2 + z^2} dz dy dx [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So in spherical polars, the integrand is simply ρ.
[itex] \sqrt{1- x^2- y^2} = z = ρ\cos\phi = \cos\phi [/itex] since we are on the unit sphere.
This gives one of the bounds
[itex] \sqrt{1-x^2} [/itex] is the upper half of the unit circle in the xy plane, so clearly θ goes from 0 to pi.
Since we consider z≥0, [itex] \phi [/itex] must go from 0 to pi/2.

Putting this together gives, [tex] \int_{0}^{\frac{π}{2}} \int_{0}^{π} \int_{0}^{cos\phi} ρ\,dρ\,dθ\,d\phi [/tex] have I ordered the integration process correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm afraid it's totally wrong.

It can be tricky changing the limits of integration when changing from one set of coordinates to another. It would be easier to visualise the region R and then parameterise it in terms of the new coordinate system.

The region of integration is the volume of the unit sphere centred at the origin in the first quadrant (ie x, y and z are all positive). This region can be parameterised in spherical coordinates as:
[tex]R: \{0\leq \rho \leq 1, 0\leq\theta\leq\frac{\pi}{2}, 0\leq\phi\leq\frac{\pi}{2}\}[/tex]
Furthermore, note that [itex]dx\,dy\,dz \neq d\rho\,d\theta\,d\phi[/itex]
The infinitesimal volume element in spherical coordinates is in fact
[tex]dV = \rho^{2} sin \phi \,d\rho\,d\theta\,d\phi[/tex]
([itex]\rho^{2} sin \phi[/itex] is often called the Jacobian)

Thanks for clarifying things.
It is clear that ρ goes from 0 to 1 when I see the picture, but why don't I get the same results when I tried to do it algebraically? (I get [itex] \cos\phi [/itex])
Also , should I expect the answer to be pi/6, ie a quarter of the volume of a unit hemisphere?

Last edited:

1. What is triple integration in spherical polars?

Triple integration in spherical polars is a mathematical method used in multivariate calculus to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional region bounded by three surfaces, using spherical coordinates instead of Cartesian coordinates.

2. How is triple integration in spherical polars different from triple integration in Cartesian coordinates?

Triple integration in spherical polars uses a different coordinate system, namely spherical coordinates, which consist of a radial distance, an azimuth angle, and a polar angle. This allows for a more efficient and simpler calculation of volumes for certain types of three-dimensional regions, such as those with spherical or cylindrical symmetry.

3. What are the advantages of using triple integration in spherical polars?

One advantage is that it can simplify the calculation of volumes for certain types of three-dimensional regions, as mentioned before. Additionally, it can also make it easier to visualize and understand the geometry of the region being integrated. Moreover, it can be used to solve problems in physics, engineering, and other fields that involve spherical symmetry.

4. What are some common applications of triple integration in spherical polars?

Triple integration in spherical polars has various applications in physics, such as calculating the electric and magnetic fields of a charged sphere or a current-carrying wire. It is also used in engineering for calculating the moment of inertia of a solid sphere or finding the center of mass of a spherical object.

5. How is triple integration in spherical polars performed?

To perform triple integration in spherical polars, the region of integration is first defined in terms of the spherical coordinates. Then, the triple integral is set up using the appropriate limits of integration for each coordinate. This integral is then evaluated using various techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts, to obtain the final result.