1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triple integration w/spherical coordinates

1. Apr 28, 2008 #1

"Find the mass of part of the solid sphere x^2 + y^2 + z^ 2 ≤ 25 in the 1st octant x ≥ 0, y ≥ 0, z ≥ 0 where mass density is f (x, y, z ) = (x^2 + y^2 + z^2 )^3/2 ."

These problems are really stumping me! I need somebody to work it out/explain it to me! What will the limits of integration be for the following question? What do i integrate? I know I need to transform it to spherical coordinates... but beyond that I'm lost.

I know it's a triple integral:
    m = ∫∫∫(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^3/2 dzdydx
    transforming to spherical co-ordinates:
    0 ≤ rho ≤ 5
    0 ≤ theta ≤ ??? (how do I figure this out?)
    0 ≤ phi ≤ ????? (ditto)

dzdydx = rho^2 sinphi drho dphi dtheta
    What does f (x, y,z) transform to and how do I figure it out?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

x^2+y^2+z^2=rho^2. What does that make f(x,y,z)? phi is the polar angle and theta is the equatorial angle. What range of these keeps you in the first octant? Refer to a picture of your preferred system of spherical coordinates.

4. Apr 29, 2008 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

… keep it simple …

Hi MAins! :smile:

You're making this too complicated:cry:

It's one-eight of the mass of the whole sphere.

Divide it into spherical shells, of radius r, from r = 0 to 5.

Then the mass of each shell is … ? :smile:

5. Apr 29, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

But just in case, you would like to learn how to do these problems!

Since [itex]\rho= \sqrt{x^2+ y^2+ z^2}[/itex], [itex](x^2+ y^2+ z^2)^{3/2}= \rho^3[/itex]. Thats the function you want to integrate.

Yes, you are correct that the differential of volume in spherical coordinates is [itex]\rho sin^2(\phi)d\rho d\theta d\phi[/itex]

Now, to determine what the limits of integration should be, think about what the variables in spherical coordinates mean. [itex]\rho[/itex] measures the distance from the origin, (0,0,0) to a point. Since your sphere is centered at (0,0,0) and has radius 5, [itex]\rho[/itex] must go from 0 to 5. [itex]\theta[/itex] measures the angle around the "equator" (think of it as "longitude"). For the full sphere, it goes from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex]. Here, you have just 1/4 of a full circle: so [itex]\theta[/itex] goes from 0 to ?? [itex]\phi[/itex] measures the angle down from the z-axis to the point (think of it as "co-latitude". For the full sphere, it goes from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex]. You only want to go from the z-axis to the xy-plane, 1/2 way: so [itex]\phi[/itex] goes from 0 to ??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?