Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tripple point

1. Apr 30, 2005 #1
    I'm having some trouble grasping the concept of the so called "tripple point". I can't begin to imagine that three different fases can possibly coexist. The temperature is 0,01C isn't it? Well, if some snow has this temperature, and then turns into a liquid, then that's because the temperature isn't longer 0,01! And if water vapour is cooled to 0,01C, then it would just freeze to snow wouldn't it?! Can someone please explain this strange concept to me...?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2005 #2
    Your illustrating your own point.

When the triple point lies in replicable conditions, it is possible to observe all three phases of the item. Thats pretty much what it means, You cant go straight through the triple point though when heating or compressing, so you just observe the regular stages.
  4. Apr 30, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's one more thing.For water,the temp is 273.16K,but the pressure is not 1 atm...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?