Trouble Determining Moment Arm (aka Lever Arm)

In summary, the teacher is having difficulty solving a homework equation. They need help with the diagram and with finding the length of the moment arm.
x2017

Homework Statement

1.png

Homework Equations

ΣM=Στ

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to get the net torque about point P, but I am having difficulty determining where the moment arms for each force should be. I did 9 simpler questions before this no problem, but this diagram is a bit more complicated and I'm having trouble with it. The last three questions I have to do are all exactly the same (this one) with different numbers, so some help would be greatly appreciated!

I know the moment arm is the perpendicular distance from the line of action of the force to the point of rotation.

I am confused as how to find the length of the moment arms in this particular diagram. I think they should look like this (orange and blue lines)
1.png

But I am lost as to how to get their lengths (if where I have them is even correct).

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Perhaps you could try to divide the forces F2 and F1 in the x and y directions.

Such that F2x = F2cos(A2), F2y = F2sin(A2), F1x = F1cos(A1), and F1y = F1sin(A1).

Hence, Your free body diagram would look a little like the attached picture.

Hope this answers your question!

Attachments

• P_20160304_123415.jpg
    P_20160304_123415.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 463
Look at the point where your blue line crosses the horizontal line at the bottom of the rectangle .

What do you know about the two acute angles there ?

What do you know about the sum of the angles in right angle triangles ?.

Last edited:
ShraZam said:
Hi,

Such that F2x = F2cos(A2), F2y = F2sin(A2), F1x = F1cos(A1), and F1y = F1sin(A1).

I've tried this a few time and I haven't been able to get the correct answer :(
Do you spot a mistake I could have made?
If you can't read my writing I can type it out!
IMG_0270.jpg

Nidum said:
Look at the point where your blue line crosses the horizontal line at the bottom of the rectangle .

What do you know about the two acute angles there ?
I'm not sure, are they supposed to be the same?

Nidum said:
What do you know about the sum of the angles in right angle triangles ?.
They add up to 180 degrees.

This is messy, sorry, but I'm at this point in trying to figure the question out!
IMG_0271.jpg

Last edited:
Yes - they are the same . So what is the angle between your blue line and the left vertical line of the rectangle at point P ?

Nidum said:
Yes - they are the same . So what is the angle between your blue line and the left vertical line of the rectangle at point P ?
38.3 degrees

Yes - that angle and angle A1 are the same . Quick bit of trig now will give you length of blue line ?

Hint : Work out the base length of the triangle below point P .

Nidum said:
Hint : Work out the base length of the triangle below point P .
Tried it this way, still not getting correct answer
IMG_0272.jpg

1-png.96777.png

This was your best diagram . Put in the actual dimensions and angles as given and add those that you have worked out so far .

Label all points where lines meet or cross . Simple a , b , c --- will suffice .

Last edited:
ShraZam said:
Hi,

Nidum said:
This was your best diagram . Put in the actual dimensions and angles as given and add those that you have worked out so far .

Label all points where lines meet or cross . Simple a , b , c --- will suffice .

I eventually solved it using the first method I tried (breaking into x and y components.
Thanks for your help.
IMG_0275.jpg

1. What is a moment arm or lever arm?

A moment arm, also known as a lever arm, is the perpendicular distance between the applied force and the axis of rotation. It is a crucial factor in calculating torque, which is the rotational force applied to an object.

2. Why is it important to determine the moment arm?

Determining the moment arm is important because it helps in understanding the amount of torque or rotational force that can be applied to an object. It is also essential in designing and analyzing mechanical systems, such as levers, pulleys, and gears.

3. How is the moment arm calculated?

The moment arm is calculated by finding the perpendicular distance between the applied force and the axis of rotation. This can be done using trigonometric functions or by using the physical measurements of the object.

4. What factors can affect the determination of the moment arm?

There are a few factors that can affect the determination of the moment arm. These include the position and direction of the applied force, the shape and orientation of the object, and any external forces or constraints acting on the object.

5. How can I overcome difficulties in determining the moment arm?

If you are having trouble determining the moment arm, there are a few things you can try. First, make sure you have a clear understanding of the concept and the calculations involved. You can also try using different methods, such as trigonometry or physical measurements, to determine the moment arm. If you are still having difficulties, consulting with a mentor or colleague may help clarify any confusion.