1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Trouble finding a mobius transformation from a domain to a unit disc

1. Mar 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    S = { z | |Im(z)| < 5 }, z is a complex number

2. Relevant equations
    I am trying to generate a mobius transformation w = f(z) such that it will map S onto a unit disc but I keep running into problems and contradictions. I think there is a big mistake in my attempt but I can't figure it out, can somebody please give me a hint on what is wrong?

3. The attempt at a solution
    First I know that |Im(z)| < 5 implies that -5 < y < 5 and I want to find a mobius transformation such that S will be mapped onto unit disc, | z | < or = 1.
    I start with the standard Mobius transformation form:

f(z) = (az+b)/(cz+d), assume c doesn't equal 0, and I want the following,
    0 -> 0
    5i -> i
    infinity -> 1

Then f(0) = b/d = 0, I choose b = 0 instead of d = infinity.
    f(infinity) = a/c = 1, this shows a = c
    f(5i) = (5ai)/(5ci + d) = (-25ac - 5adi)/((-25c^2) - d^2) = (25ac + 5adi)/(25c^2 + d^2)
    However at this point I figure out that (25c^2)/(25c^2 + d^2) = 0, this implies that c = 0.
    Since c = 0 and a = c, then a = 0.
    Now I can't figure out what d is, since I have 0/(d^2) = 1, which makes no sense.
    In addition because a = b = c = 0, ad - bc = 0 which violates the condition of Mobius transformation.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2010 #2
    There's your first problem.

4. Mar 11, 2010 #3
    Sorry I forgot to add the mod, it should be |Im(z)|<5

5. Mar 11, 2010 #4
    Mobius transformations take generalized circles to generalized circles. The boundary of the unit disk is a circle. What's the boundary of the set you're starting with? Is it a (generalized) circle?

6. Mar 11, 2010 #5
    In this case, I think my S is not a generalized circle so I can't generate a mobius transformation?

If not, can I still find an analytic functions that maps S onto unit disc?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook