Trouble finding a mobius transformation from a domain to a unit disc

In summary, the conversation is about trying to generate a mobius transformation that maps a set S, defined as {z | |Im(z)| < 5}, onto a unit disk. The attempt involves using the standard mobius transformation form and setting certain conditions, but it is found that the set S is not a generalized circle and thus cannot be mapped using a mobius transformation. The conversation then shifts to considering if there is an analytic function that can map the set S onto the unit disk.
librastar

Homework Statement

S = { z | |Im(z)| < 5 }, z is a complex number

Homework Equations

I am trying to generate a mobius transformation w = f(z) such that it will map S onto a unit disc but I keep running into problems and contradictions. I think there is a big mistake in my attempt but I can't figure it out, can somebody please give me a hint on what is wrong?

The Attempt at a Solution

First I know that |Im(z)| < 5 implies that -5 < y < 5 and I want to find a mobius transformation such that S will be mapped onto unit disc, | z | < or = 1.
I start with the standard Mobius transformation form:

f(z) = (az+b)/(cz+d), assume c doesn't equal 0, and I want the following,
0 -> 0
5i -> i
infinity -> 1

Then f(0) = b/d = 0, I choose b = 0 instead of d = infinity.
f(infinity) = a/c = 1, this shows a = c
f(5i) = (5ai)/(5ci + d) = (-25ac - 5adi)/((-25c^2) - d^2) = (25ac + 5adi)/(25c^2 + d^2)
However at this point I figure out that (25c^2)/(25c^2 + d^2) = 0, this implies that c = 0.
Since c = 0 and a = c, then a = 0.
Now I can't figure out what d is, since I have 0/(d^2) = 1, which makes no sense.
In addition because a = b = c = 0, ad - bc = 0 which violates the condition of Mobius transformation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
librastar said:
First I know that Im(z) < 5 implies that -5 < y < 5 and...

There's your first problem.

Tinyboss said:
There's your first problem.

Sorry I forgot to add the mod, it should be |Im(z)|<5

Mobius transformations take generalized circles to generalized circles. The boundary of the unit disk is a circle. What's the boundary of the set you're starting with? Is it a (generalized) circle?

Tinyboss said:
Mobius transformations take generalized circles to generalized circles. The boundary of the unit disk is a circle. What's the boundary of the set you're starting with? Is it a (generalized) circle?

In this case, I think my S is not a generalized circle so I can't generate a mobius transformation?

If not, can I still find an analytic functions that maps S onto unit disc?

1. How do I find a mobius transformation from a domain to a unit disc?

To find a mobius transformation from a domain to a unit disc, you need to use the following steps:

• First, identify the points on the boundary of the domain and the unit disc.
  • Next, map those points to corresponding points on the unit circle.
  • Then, use the cross-ratio formula to find the coefficients of the mobius transformation.
  • Finally, use these coefficients to construct the mobius transformation function.

2. What is a mobius transformation?

A mobius transformation is a type of conformal mapping that preserves angles and shapes between two spaces. It is defined as a function of the form f(z) = (az + b) / (cz + d), where a, b, c, and d are complex numbers and ad - bc ≠ 0.

3. Why is it useful to find a mobius transformation from a domain to a unit disc?

Finding a mobius transformation from a domain to a unit disc allows us to easily map points from one space to another, while preserving the properties of the original space. This is particularly useful in complex analysis, geometry, and physics, where conformal mappings play a crucial role in understanding and solving problems.

4. Can any domain be mapped to a unit disc using a mobius transformation?

No, not all domains can be mapped to a unit disc using a mobius transformation. The domain must be simply connected, meaning that it does not have any holes or self-intersections. Additionally, the boundary of the domain must be a simple closed curve, such as a circle or a line segment.

5. Are there any alternative methods for finding a mobius transformation from a domain to a unit disc?

Yes, there are alternative methods for finding a mobius transformation from a domain to a unit disc. Some common methods include using the Schwarz-Christoffel mapping, the Joukowski transformation, and the Cayley transform. These methods may be more suitable for certain types of domains, depending on their shape and complexity.