How can I determine the potential extrema on a function with a discontinuity?

• Thread starter fishspawned
  • Start date
The solution is a bit more complicated than it initially appears, but it's actually quite elegant. The function can be rewritten as ##y = |sin(x)| + (1/x) = \sqrt{sin^2(x)} + (1/x)##. The derivative of this function comes out to be ##y' = \frac{cos(x)sin(x)}{\sqrt{sin^2(x)}} - \frac{1}{x^2}##. We can then set this equal to 0 and solve for x to find
fishspawned

Homework Statement

i am looking for the potential extrema on the function y = |sinx(x)| + (1/x) between [-2pi, 2pi]

Homework Equations

extrema will be likely located at f'(x) = 0 or u/d

The Attempt at a Solution

first it is noted that there is a discontinuity at x=0
then determining f'(x) by using |sin(x)| as sqrt(sin2x) instead
we get f'(x) = sin(x)cos(x)/|sinx(x)| - x-2

first the easy one : we can see that f'(x) = u/d where sin(x) = 0 [looking only at the denominator here]
that will be at x= -2pi, -pi, pi, and 2pi

My problem is the second part
f'(x) = 0 when the whole equation = 0
0 = sin(x)cos(x)/|sinx(x)| - x-2
therefore
sin(x)cos(x)/|sinx(x)| = x-2
using |sin(x)| as sqrt(sin2x) instead
we get
sin(x)cos(x)/(sqrt(sin2x)) = x-2
a little algebra and then we get
x4 = sec2(x)

and now... i am stuck.
is there a way to solve this particular equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
fishspawned said:

Homework Statement

i am looking for the potential extrema on the function y = |sinx(x)| + (1/x) between [-2pi, 2pi]

Homework Equations

An extremum can also occur at an endpoint of a closed interval.
fishspawned said:

first the easy one : we can see that f'(x) = u/d where sin(x) = 0 [looking only at the denominator here]

therefore
we get
x4 = sec2(x)

and now... i am stuck.
Rather than replace ##|\sin(x)|## by ##\sqrt{\sin^2(x)}##, it might be simpler to look at your function on the two intervals for which ##\sin(x) \ge 0## and on the two intervals on which ##\sin(x) \le 0##. This would make the derivatives a bit simpler, but I think you will still have a hard time finding a solution algebraically.

fishspawned said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

therefore
we get
x4 = sec2(x)

and now... i am stuck.
First, I am a little confused. In your original problem statement you said ##y = |sinx(x)| + (1/x)##, but the problem you have actually been working on is ##y = |sin(x)| + (1/x)##. So which is it?

A couple of suggestions: When you have an absolute in an equation, it can be helpful to consider each case separately. So in this problem for example, you could rewrite the function ##y = |sin(x)| + (1/x)## as

##y = \begin{cases}
sin(x) + (1/x) & \text{if } -2π \leq x < -π\text{ or }0 \leq x < π\\
-sin(x) + (1/x) & \text{if } -π \leq x < 0\text{ or }π \leq x < 2π
\end{cases}##

Now you can find the derivative for each case.

Sketching a plot of the function and it's derivative also helps in figuring out problems like this.

In answer to your question, no there is not an analytic solution to this problem. You could use a root-finding method like Newton-Raphson to find approximate solutions.

first off - OOPS - no we are using |sin(x)| - my apologies for the typo.

i was considering a linear approximation method. separating them into the two parts seems the easiest method.
thanks all.

this is one of those situations where i threw out a question to my students and never checked the solution first. we all just randomly picked a function for a curve sketch analysis. i was just running through it before class tomorrow and got to that point and realized i gave those little dudes something of far more complexity than i imagined.

Last edited by a moderator:
fishspawned said:
first off - OOPS - no we are using |sin(x)| - my apologies for the typo.

i was considering a linear approximation method. separating them into the two parts seems the easiest method.
thanks all.

this is one of those situations where i threw out a question to my students and never checked the solution first. we all just randomly picked a function for a curve sketch analysis. i was just running through it before class tomorrow and got to that point and realized i gave those little dudes something of far more complexity than i imagined.

As suggested in #3, look at the function in each of the four sub-intervals, so that you eliminate the absolute value signs. Then look at the derivative in each sub-interval, and either find stationary point(s) or look explicitly at the interval's end-points, because on a bounded interval, a max or min may not be where the derivative vanishes. Finding the stationary points will require numerical methods.

1. How do I approach solving a complex equation?

One approach to solving a complex equation is to break it down into smaller, simpler equations. You can also try substituting variables or using algebraic properties to simplify the equation.

2. What should I do if I get stuck while solving an equation?

If you get stuck while solving an equation, take a break and come back to it later. You can also ask for help from a teacher, tutor, or classmate. Additionally, try looking for online resources or tutorials that can provide guidance.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve an equation?

Yes, you can use a calculator to help solve equations. However, it is important to understand the steps and concepts behind the equation rather than relying solely on a calculator.

4. How do I check if my solution is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. You can also use a graphing calculator to plot the equation and your solution to visually confirm if it is correct.

5. Are there any tips for solving equations more efficiently?

One tip for solving equations efficiently is to practice regularly and become familiar with different types of equations and strategies for solving them. It can also be helpful to write out all the steps and show your work to prevent mistakes and make it easier to track your progress.