The Surface Integral of a Vector Field with Restrictions: How Do I Solve It?

In summary, I was stuck calculating the integral of the dot product between the vector field, A, and the normal, n, due to the boundaries given. I solved the problem by taking the limits of u and v as required.
Log

Homework Statement

Given is the vector field, [itex]\overline{A}[/itex] = (x2-y2, (x+y)2, (x-y)2). The surface: [itex]\overline{B}[/itex] = (u+v, u-v, uv). The restrictions are the following: -1≤ u, v≤ 1, and the z-component of the normal has to be positive.
Calculate I, I = ∫∫[itex]\overline{A}[/itex][itex]\cdot[/itex][itex]\overline{n}[/itex]dS

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was I first tried calculating the normal by using the cross product between the two vectors tangent to the surface. This however got me a normal vector with a z component equal to zero. Then I tried expressing u and v in terms of x and y, plugging that into the parameter for z, z = uv, got me z as a function of x and y. I then defined a potential, Φ = z - f(x,y), where z = f(x,y). Calculating n=∇Φ got me a normal vector with non-zero z-component. Easy.

Next I calculated the dot product between the vector field, A, and the normal, n, in terms of u and v. This is where I got stuck. I'm not sure how to calculate the integral given the boundaries above.

-1≤ u, v≤ 1 is the same as -1≤ u< ∞, -∞< v ≤ 1. I tried integrating with respect to one of the variables but what happens with the infinites when evaluating the result?

Maybe I missed something, my calculus skills are a little bit rusty at the moment.

Oh, I was wondering, how come the normal vectors calculated from the cross product and gradient are different? aren't they supposed to be the same?

Physics news on Phys.org
Log said:

Homework Statement

Given is the vector field, [itex]\overline{A}[/itex] = (x2-y2, (x+y)2, (x-y)2). The surface: [itex]\overline{B}[/itex] = (u+v, u-v, uv). The restrictions are the following: -1≤ u, v≤ 1, and the z-component of the normal has to be positive.
Calculate I, I = ∫∫[itex]\overline{A}[/itex][itex]\cdot[/itex][itex]\overline{n}[/itex]dS

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was I first tried calculating the normal by using the cross product between the two vectors tangent to the surface. This however got me a normal vector with a z component equal to zero.

Show us your steps. I don't get zero in the 3rd component.

Then I tried expressing u and v in terms of x and y, plugging that into the parameter for z, z = uv, got me z as a function of x and y. I then defined a potential, Φ = z - f(x,y), where z = f(x,y). Calculating n=∇Φ got me a normal vector with non-zero z-component. Easy.

Next I calculated the dot product between the vector field, A, and the normal, n, in terms of u and v. This is where I got stuck. I'm not sure how to calculate the integral given the boundaries above.

-1≤ u, v≤ 1 is the same as -1≤ u< ∞, -∞< v ≤ 1. I tried integrating with respect to one of the variables but what happens with the infinites when evaluating the result?

Maybe I missed something, my calculus skills are a little bit rusty at the moment.

Oh, I was wondering, how come the normal vectors calculated from the cross product and gradient are different? aren't they supposed to be the same?

You want to leave it all in terms of u and v. And use the formula$$
\iint_S \vec F\cdot \hat n dS = \pm\iint_{(u,v)}\vec F(u,v)\cdot \vec R_u\times \vec R_v\, dudv$$using the appropriate sign to agree with your orientation (plus if ##\vec R_u\times \vec R_v## is in the right direction).

I calculated the normal again and got it to be:
n = (-(u + v), u - v, 2).
This has a z-component > 0.

Then I expressed A in terms of u and v:
A = (uv, u2, v2).

The dot product of A and n is:
4(2v2 + u3 - 2u2v - uv2)

I can't see how the integral of this is going to be finite, given the boundaries.

I think the problem intends for you to take ##-1 \le u \le 1## and ##-1 \le v \le 1##.

vela said:
I think the problem intends for you to take ##-1 \le u \le 1## and ##-1 \le v \le 1##.

Ahhh, you're right!

I thought the comma was there to separate.

Thanks!

What is a surface integral?

A surface integral is a mathematical concept used in vector calculus to calculate the flux or flow of a vector field across a surface. It involves breaking down the surface into small pieces and calculating the contribution of each piece to the total flow.

Why is surface integral important?

Surface integrals are important in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields because they allow us to calculate physical quantities such as electric or magnetic fields and fluid flow across a surface. They also provide a way to generalize two-dimensional integrals to higher dimensions.

What is the difference between a single and double surface integral?

A single surface integral is used to calculate the flux through a two-dimensional surface, while a double surface integral is used to calculate the flux through a three-dimensional surface. Double surface integrals involve an additional integration over the surface's normal direction.

How do I solve a surface integral?

To solve a surface integral, you first need to determine the limits of integration by parameterizing the surface and finding the boundaries of the surface in terms of the parameter. Then, you can use the appropriate formula for either a single or double surface integral to calculate the flux or flow through the surface.

What are some real-world applications of surface integrals?

Surface integrals have many real-world applications, including calculating the flow of heat or fluid through a surface, finding the mass or charge distribution on a surface, and determining the work done by a force on an object moving along a surface. They are also used in computer graphics to calculate lighting and shading on 3D surfaces.