Analyzing One-to-One Functions and Parametric Curves

• Thread starter System
  • Start date
In summary: The function is a line, and there are horizontal lines intersecting the graph at more than one point. So the statement is false.
System

Homework Statement

1- The following function is one-to-one

f(x)= -x if x belongs to [-1,0]

f(x)=3x+2 if x belongs to [0,1]

2- The following parametric curve represents a line segment from (0,3) to (2,0) :

x(t)=2sin^2(t) and y(t)=3cos^2(t) where t belongs to [0,pi/2]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For (1): I think its false, if we draw the function on the interval [-1,1] we will get a graph which is similar to the graph of f(x)=|x| (the v-shape). clearly there are horizontal lines intersect the curve of f in more than one point, so its not 1-1 function, so the statement is false.

For (2): I do not have any idea!

Physics news on Phys.org
System said:

Homework Statement

1- The following function is one-to-one

f(x)= -x if x belongs to [-1,0]

f(x)=3x+2 if x belongs to [0,1]

2- The following parametric curve represents a line segment from (0,3) to (2,0) :

x(t)=2sin^2(t) and y(t)=3cos^2(t) where t belongs to [0,pi/2]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For (1): I think its false, if we draw the function on the interval [-1,1] we will get a graph which is similar to the graph of f(x)=|x| (the v-shape). clearly there are horizontal lines intersect the curve of f in more than one point, so its not 1-1 function, so the statement is false.
That works for me.
System said:
For (2): I do not have any idea!

You know that sin2(t) + cos2(t) = 1, right? Can you work this idea into your parametric equations to get one equation that involves only x and y (no t)?

well,
I would say:
(x/2)+(y/3)=sin^2(t)+cos^2(t)=1
so
(x/2)+(y/3)=1
which is ellipse
ok
then?

No, x/2 + y/3 = 1 is NOT an ellipse. Also, keep in mind that 0 <= t <= pi/2.

ohhh
Sorry
its a line
so when i substitute the smallest value for t i will get the start of the line
and when i substitute the biggest for t i will get the end of the line
so its TRUE

by the way.
the first statement is true.
its one-to-one function.

System said:
by the way.
the first statement is true.
its one-to-one function.
Right. I stand corrected. I should have drawn the graph, because then it's obvious.

FAQ: Analyzing One-to-One Functions and Parametric Curves

1. Is it possible for both statements in a "True/False" question to be true?

Yes, it is possible for both statements in a "True/False" question to be true. This would occur if both statements accurately describe the same fact or situation.

2. Can a "True/False" question have more than two statements?

No, a "True/False" question can only have two statements. This is because the purpose of a "True/False" question is to test the participant's understanding of a specific statement, and having more than two statements would make it more complex and potentially confusing.

3. How can I differentiate between a "True/False" question and a multiple choice question?

A "True/False" question only has two possible answers, while a multiple choice question has three or more. Additionally, a "True/False" question asks the participant to determine the accuracy of a statement, while a multiple choice question asks them to select the correct answer from a list of options.

4. Can I guess the answer in a "True/False" question?

Yes, you can guess the answer in a "True/False" question. However, it would be more beneficial to try to understand the statement and make an informed decision rather than guessing. Guessing may result in a correct answer, but it does not demonstrate understanding of the material.

5. Are "True/False" questions a reliable way to test knowledge?

It depends on the context and the type of knowledge being tested. "True/False" questions are best suited for testing basic or factual knowledge, but they may not be reliable for testing more complex understanding or critical thinking skills. It is important to use a variety of question formats to accurately assess knowledge and understanding.