Understanding Twice Differentiable Functions with f''(x) ≥ 0

In summary, the conversation discusses the conditions for a function to be convex, specifically when its second derivative is greater than or equal to 0 for all real values of x. The conclusion is that this condition is true for all x implies that the function is convex, and this can be proven using the second derivative test.
stukbv

Homework Statement

1. if a function is twice continuously differentiable with f''(x) >= 0 for all real values of x then

(f(-x) + f(x))/2 >= f(0) ?

2. if a function is twice continuously differentiable with f''(x) >= 0 for all real values of x then
tf(x) + (1-t)f(y) >= f(tx+(1-t)y)
for all real values of x and y and for 0<=t<=1

I am really confused with these types of questions and to how to attempt them in my exam.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If [itex]f''(x) \geq 0[/itex] for all real x, then what kind of function is f?

convex?

stukbv said:
convex?

Yes. Now what's the definition of a convex function?

No idea?

stukbv said:
No idea?

Look it up?

when i try and look it up it just keeps telling me exactly what part 2 says, i know its true but i need to prove it you see.

Yes, the conclusion of part 2 is exactly the definition of a convex function.

So part 2 is asking, true or false, f''(x) >= 0 for all x implies that f is convex. This is true, and the proof is a standard one which should be in your calculus book under "second derivative test" or something similar.

What about part 1?

1. What does it mean for a function to be twice differentiable?

A function is twice differentiable if it has two continuous derivatives. This means that the function can be differentiated twice without any discontinuities or jumps in the graph.

2. How can I determine if a function is twice differentiable?

A function is twice differentiable if its first and second derivatives exist and are continuous over its entire domain. This can be checked by finding the first and second derivatives and ensuring that there are no points of discontinuity.

3. What does it mean if f''(x) ≥ 0 for a function?

If f''(x) ≥ 0 for a function, it means that the function is concave up or has a positive curvature. This indicates that the function is increasing at an increasing rate.

4. How does the graph of a function with f''(x) ≥ 0 look like?

The graph of a function with f''(x) ≥ 0 will have a positive slope and a positive curvature. It will be a smooth, upwardly concave curve.

5. Can a function have f''(x) ≥ 0 at some points and f''(x) < 0 at others?

Yes, a function can have f''(x) ≥ 0 at some points and f''(x) < 0 at other points. This means that the function may have both concave up and concave down sections in its graph, with points of inflection where the curvature changes from positive to negative or vice versa.