1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Truth Value Of Statements

1. Sep 18, 2012 #1
    The question is, "Determine the truth value of each of these statements if the domain consists of all integers?"

The statements are:

[itex]\forall n(n^2 \geq 0)[/itex]

[itex]\exists n(n^2=2)[/itex]

[itex]\forall n(n^2\geq n)[/itex]

[itex]\exists n(n^2 less than 0) [/itex]

Does it seem, from reading the question, that I am to determine the truth value of the statement by simply looking at it, or is there some proving process involved?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2012 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you can determine the truth by simply looking at it, that seems fine to me. If this is homework, you may want to write a brief explanation even if you could see that it was true by inspection. For example, for the first statement you might write "this square of any real number is ______, therefore this statement is _______"

4. Sep 18, 2012 #3
    What if I was to prove them? How would I go about that? Any hints? Would negating each statement be a good start?

5. Sep 18, 2012 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Negation might be useful for some of these. Others will probably be more straightforward to prove directly.

For example, to prove that [itex]n^2 \geq 0[/itex] is true for all integers [itex]n[/itex], try considering the following three cases separately: [itex]n > 0[/itex], [itex]n = 0[/itex], [itex]n < 0[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook