Is There a Closed Form for the Sum of the Reciprocals of Squares?

In summary, the conversation discussed finding a closed form formula for the sum of 1/squares of the first n consecutive integers, also known as the Riemann zeta function. Several proofs were mentioned, including one using the infinite product of the sin(x)/x function, which can be extended to find the value at any even integer. The conversation also touched on the complexity of finding proofs and the beauty of mathematics.
mesa
Gold Member
Hey guy's, trying to figure out another closed form formula but this time for the sum of 1/squares of the first n consecutive integers.

Or in other words:

1/(1^2) + 1/(2^2) + 1/(3^2) + 1/(4^2) +1/(...=

I tried using the same technique as last time by setting up the formula based on several values for n and then replacing any whole number values with an equation using n but this time the formula gets too complicated since the n value is in the denominator.

Any ideas?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Look for the Riemann zeta function.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riemann_zeta_function

If I remember correctly, I don't know how to prove it, but the result's something crazy like [itex]\displaystyle\dfrac{\sqrt\pi}{6}[/itex]

There are 3 proofs here.

None of them is anything like I'd think up on my own.
Crazy! :smile:

oleador said:
Look for the Riemann zeta function.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riemann_zeta_function

Hah, neat! Basically it states that for an infinite value for n we get (∏^2)/6 or 1.6449...

I had come up with 1.64... after noticing a pattern with exponents for each group of 10 integers of n.

Basically each group of 10 integers percentage value over the previous would be the value for those ten integers to the power of 1.346756779 then that quantity multiplied by 10. At the point it broke down it left me at 164% or 1.64... with it showing that the value in the hundreths column never exceeding 4. Neat!

I like Serena said:
There are 3 proofs here.

None of them is anything like I'd think up on my own.
Crazy! :smile:

Nice!

How would you go about tackling this problem?

mesa said:
Nice!

How would you go about tackling this problem?

Google it, which I did! :wink:
(And I was already aware that it is a standard series with a crazy result.)

I'm way too lazy too think up crazy proofs that are already out there.

(But yes, I did think about it for a little while.
I tried to write it as Ʃx^n/n^2 to be evaluated at x=1, then differentiate it, multiply by x, and differentiate again.
But it became too complex to integrate the result, although that may still be possible.)

The great thing about the way Euler solved it (with the infinite product) is that it readily generalizes to find the value of the zeta function at any even integer, not just 2. Give it a try!

The Euler's proof is just beautiful! Proofs like these make me love mathematics.

It's also one of my favorites. The idea to use an infinite product of a seemingly unrelated function sin(x)/x is just so remarkably creative and unexpected.

1. What is a closed form formula?

A closed form formula is a mathematical expression that can be written in a finite number of operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and exponentiation. It does not involve infinite processes or functions, and can be evaluated to obtain a numerical result.

2. Why is it important to find a closed form formula?

Finding a closed form formula allows for a more efficient and precise way to represent and manipulate mathematical equations. It also provides a deeper understanding of the underlying principles and patterns within a problem, making it easier to solve and apply in various contexts.

3. What are some strategies for finding a closed form formula?

One strategy is to look for a pattern in the data or equation and use algebraic manipulation to simplify it. Another is to use known formulas and identities, such as the quadratic formula or the binomial theorem, to derive a closed form formula. Alternatively, one can use techniques such as induction or differentiation to find a closed form solution.

4. Can all mathematical problems have a closed form formula?

No, not all mathematical problems can be solved using a closed form formula. Some problems are inherently complex and require more advanced techniques, such as numerical methods or approximation algorithms, to find a solution. Additionally, certain problems may not have a closed form solution at all.

5. How can I check if my closed form formula is correct?

You can check the validity of your closed form formula by plugging in different values for the variables and comparing the results to the original equation or data. You can also use mathematical software or tools to graph and analyze the equation and see if it aligns with the expected outcome. Additionally, you can consult with other experts or peers in the field to verify your solution.