Trying to find an alternative for solving an integral

In summary: Is that enough of a hint?In summary, the conversation discusses solving an integral using polar coordinates and whether or not it is a better method than using cartesian coordinates. However, the proposed solution in polar coordinates is not correct and further adjustments need to be made to accurately use polar coordinates for this integral.
JD_PM

Homework Statement

Captura de pantalla (522).png

Homework Equations

Captura de pantalla (524).png

The Attempt at a Solution

Captura de pantalla (528).png

[/B]
I understand how the integral is solved using cartesian coordinates.

However, I wanted to try to solve it using polar coordinates:

$$\int_0^{\pi/2} cos \theta \sqrt{1+r^2 cos^2 \theta}d \theta\int_{0}^{\sqrt{1-r^2 cos^2 \theta}}r^3dr$$

But it doesn't seem to be a good idea.

Am I wrong or we cannot find a better method than cartesian coordinates for solving this integral?

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla (522).png
    Captura de pantalla (522).png
    2.6 KB · Views: 558
  • Captura de pantalla (524).png
    Captura de pantalla (524).png
    6.1 KB · Views: 531
  • Captura de pantalla (528).png
    Captura de pantalla (528).png
    8.7 KB · Views: 882
Physics news on Phys.org
JD_PM said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 240513

Homework Equations

View attachment 240514

The Attempt at a Solution

View attachment 240515
[/B]
I understand how the integral is solved using cartesian coordinates.

However, I wanted to try to solve it using polar coordinates:

$$\int_0^{\pi/2} cos \theta \sqrt{1+r^2 cos^2 \theta}d \theta\int_{0}^{\sqrt{1-r^2 cos^2 \theta}}r^3dr$$

But it doesn't seem to be a good idea.

Am I wrong or we cannot find a better method than cartesian coordinates for solving this integral?

Your last integral with respect to ##r## also has ##r## in the upper limit; that is meaningless. Not only that, your first integrand (for the ##d \theta## integral) still has an ##r## in it, but that ##r## is nowhere integrated out.

Likes JD_PM
Ray Vickson said:
Your last integral with respect to ##r## also has ##r## in the upper limit; that is meaningless. Not only that, your first integrand (for the ##d \theta## integral) still has an ##r## in it, but that ##r## is nowhere integrated out.

Is it meaningless because polar coordinates doesn't apply here or because I made a mistake changing coordinates?

JD_PM said:
Is it meaningless because polar coordinates doesn't apply here or because I made a mistake changing coordinates?
Well, let's see: for ##dA = dx \, dy##, ##dA## becomes ##r \, dr \, d \theta## and so
##x \sqrt{1+x^2} \, dA## becomes ## r \cos(\theta) \sqrt{1+r^2 \cos^2(\theta)}\, r \, dr \, d\theta, ## with ##0 \leq r \leq 1## and ##0 \leq \theta \leq \pi/4.## You could do the ##r##-integral (with ##\theta## fixed) to get a function of ##\theta## that would then need to be integrated over ##\theta## from 0 to ##\pi/4##; or, you could do the ##\theta##-integral (with fixed ##r##) to get a function of ##r## that would need integrating from 0 to 1. In either case you would not get what you wrote.

Last edited:
Likes JD_PM

What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is commonly used in calculus to find the total value or quantity of something.

Why would someone want to find an alternative for solving an integral?

Some integrals can be difficult or impossible to solve using traditional methods, so finding an alternative method can make the problem more manageable or provide a more accurate solution.

What are some alternative methods for solving an integral?

Some alternative methods for solving an integral include numerical integration, using computer software, or using techniques such as substitution or integration by parts.

How do I know which alternative method to use for a specific integral?

The best method to use for solving an integral depends on the complexity of the integral and the desired level of accuracy. It is important to consider the strengths and limitations of each method before choosing one.

Are there any drawbacks to using alternative methods for solving an integral?

While alternative methods may provide a solution that is easier or more accurate, they may also be more time-consuming or require more advanced mathematical knowledge. It is important to weigh the pros and cons before deciding on an alternative method.