Trying to show that there are no rational solutions for an equation

• Thread starter DeadOriginal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rational
In summary, the conversation discusses an equation involving variables a, b, and c, and the attempt to show that there are no solutions for a, b, and c when they are rational and not equal to 0. The conversation explores different approaches to solving the equation, including differentiation and using divisibility arguments. It is eventually concluded that if a, b, and c are rational, they can be expressed as integers over a common denominator, and the divisibility of this expression can be used to show that there must also be an integer solution, contradicting the original statement that there are no solutions.
DeadOriginal

Homework Statement

I have the equation
$$
a^3+2b^3+4c^3-6abc=0
$$
and I want to show that for ##a,b,c\in\mathbb{Q}## and ##a,b,c\not=0## that there are no solutions.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried many different approaches but this was the only one that seemed to work. I am not sure if this is even allowed.

Holding ##a,c## constant, I first differentiate the equation in terms of ##b##. Then I have
$$
6b^2=6ac\Leftrightarrow b=\sqrt{ac}.
$$
Now I differentiate the original equation in terms of ##a## holding ##b,c## constant so
$$
3a^2=6bc\Leftrightarrow a^2=2bc\Leftrightarrow a=\sqrt{2bc}\Leftrightarrow a=\sqrt{2c\sqrt{ac}}\Leftrightarrow a^4=4c^3a\Leftrightarrow a^3=4c^3.
$$
Plugging this back into the original equation gives me
$$
a^3+2b^3+4c^3=2b^3+8c^3=6abc.
$$
Differentiating again in terms of ##b## holding ##c## constant gives me
$$
b^2=ac\Leftrightarrow b^2=c\sqrt{2bc}\Leftrightarrow b^4=2bc^3\Leftrightarrow b^3=2c^3.
$$
Plugging this back in gives
$$
2b^3+8c^3=12c^3=6abc
$$
so
$$
12c^3=6abc\rightarrow 2c^2=ab\Leftrightarrow 2c^2=8c^6\Leftrightarrow c^4=\frac{1}{4}\Leftrightarrow c=\frac{1}{\sqrt[4]{4}}.
$$
Now ##\sqrt[4]{4}## is irrational so ##\frac{1}{\sqrt[4]{4}}## is irrational and hence if ##a,b,c\not=0## there are no solutions.

I might also have to give more justification to the ##\sqrt[4]{4}## part as well but is my main idea ok? Am I allowed to differentiate like that?

Physics news on Phys.org
DeadOriginal said:

Homework Statement

I have the equation
$$
a^3+2b^3+4c^3-6abc=0
$$
and I want to show that for ##a,b,c\in\mathbb{Q}## and ##a,b,c\not=0## that there are no solutions.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried many different approaches but this was the only one that seemed to work. I am not sure if this is even allowed.

Holding ##a,c## constant, I first differentiate the equation in terms of ##b##. Then I have
$$
6b^2=6ac\Leftrightarrow b=\sqrt{ac}.
$$
Now I differentiate the original equation in terms of ##a## holding ##b,c## constant so
$$
3a^2=6bc\Leftrightarrow a^2=2bc\Leftrightarrow a=\sqrt{2bc}\Leftrightarrow a=\sqrt{2c\sqrt{ac}}\Leftrightarrow a^4=4c^3a\Leftrightarrow a^3=4c^3.
$$
Plugging this back into the original equation gives me
$$
a^3+2b^3+4c^3=2b^3+8c^3=6abc.
$$
Differentiating again in terms of ##b## holding ##c## constant gives me
$$
b^2=ac\Leftrightarrow b^2=c\sqrt{2bc}\Leftrightarrow b^4=2bc^3\Leftrightarrow b^3=2c^3.
$$
Plugging this back in gives
$$
2b^3+8c^3=12c^3=6abc
$$
so
$$
12c^3=6abc\rightarrow 2c^2=ab\Leftrightarrow 2c^2=8c^6\Leftrightarrow c^4=\frac{1}{4}\Leftrightarrow c=\frac{1}{\sqrt[4]{4}}.
$$
Now ##\sqrt[4]{4}## is irrational so ##\frac{1}{\sqrt[4]{4}}## is irrational and hence if ##a,b,c\not=0## there are no solutions.

I might also have to give more justification to the ##\sqrt[4]{4}## part as well but is my main idea ok? Am I allowed to differentiate like that?

No, you aren't allowed to differentiate like that. Why would you be? You are trying to show there aren't any solutions. Start it this way. Can you show that if there is a rational solution then there must also be a solution where a, b and c are all integers? Now start using divisibility arguments.

Here is an attempt.

Let
$$
a=\frac{a_{1}}{a_{2}}, b=\frac{b_{1}}{b_{2}}, c=\frac{c_{1}}{c_{2}}
$$
where ##a_{1},a_{2},b_{1},b_{2},c_{1},c_{2}## are integers in lowest terms. Then
$$
a^3+2b^3+4c^3-6abc=0\Leftrightarrow \left(\frac{a_{1}}{a_{2}}\right)^{3}+2\left(\frac{b_{1}}{b_{2}}\right)^{3}+4\left(\frac{c_{1}}{c_{2}}\right)-6\frac{a_{1}}{a_{2}}\frac{b_{1}}{b_{2}}\frac{c_{1}}{c_{2}}=0.
$$
Multiplying through by ##a_{2}^{3},b_{2}^{3},c_{2}^{3}## gives us
$$
(a_{1}b_{2}c_{2})^{3}+2(b_{1}a_{2}c_{2})^{3}+4(c_{1}a_{2}b_{2})^{3}-6a_{1}a_{2}^{2}b_{1}b_{2}^{2}c_{1}c_{2}^{2}=0.
$$

I feel like this is close to the part where rational solutions implies integer solutions because we have now ##a=a_{1}b_{2}c_{2}## which are integers. We have the same with ##b,c##. I am not seeing how I would apply divisibility arguments here.

DeadOriginal said:
Here is an attempt.

Let
$$
a=\frac{a_{1}}{a_{2}}, b=\frac{b_{1}}{b_{2}}, c=\frac{c_{1}}{c_{2}}
$$
where ##a_{1},a_{2},b_{1},b_{2},c_{1},c_{2}## are integers in lowest terms. Then
$$
a^3+2b^3+4c^3-6abc=0\Leftrightarrow \left(\frac{a_{1}}{a_{2}}\right)^{3}+2\left(\frac{b_{1}}{b_{2}}\right)^{3}+4\left(\frac{c_{1}}{c_{2}}\right)-6\frac{a_{1}}{a_{2}}\frac{b_{1}}{b_{2}}\frac{c_{1}}{c_{2}}=0.
$$
Multiplying through by ##a_{2}^{3},b_{2}^{3},c_{2}^{3}## gives us
$$
(a_{1}b_{2}c_{2})^{3}+2(b_{1}a_{2}c_{2})^{3}+4(c_{1}a_{2}b_{2})^{3}-6a_{1}a_{2}^{2}b_{1}b_{2}^{2}c_{1}c_{2}^{2}=0.
$$

I feel like this is close to the part where rational solutions implies integer solutions because we have now ##a=a_{1}b_{2}c_{2}## which are integers. We have the same with ##b,c##. I am not seeing how I would apply divisibility arguments here.

You are getting close to starting. Hint: if a, b and c are rational, then they can be expressed as integers over a common denominator. Nothing has to be in lowest terms here. As for divisibility, start by proving if a, b and c are integers, then a must be even. Then use that to prove more stuff.

Last edited:
We have
$$
\frac{(a_{1}b_{2}c_{2})^{3}+2(b_{1}a_{2}c_{2})^{3}+4(c_{1}a_{2}b_{2})^{3}}{(a_{2}b_{2}c_{2})^{2}}=6a_{1}b_{1}c_{1}.
$$
Since ##a_{1},b_{1},c_{1}## are integers, ##6a_{1}b_{1}c_{1}## must also be an integer. Hence our left hand side must be an integer. Then
$$
(a_{1}b_{2}c_{2})^{3}+2(b_{1}a_{2}c_{2})^{3}+4(c_{1}a_{2}b_{2})^{3}=6a_{1}b_{1}c_{1}(a_{2}b_{2}c_{2})^{2}
$$
so
##a_{2}^{2}## divides ##(a_{1}b_{2}c_{2})^{3}+2(b_{1}a_{2}c_{2})^{3}+4(c_{1}a_{2}b_{2})^{3}## and similarly for ##b_{2},c_{2}##. I deduce that
##a_{2}^{2}## divides ##a_{1}^{3} ,b_{2}^{2}## divides ##b_{1}^{3}, c_{2}^{2}## divides ##c_{1}^{3}##.

I worked a little ahead of that but it didn't seem to get anywhere because I ended up with something like
$$
\lambda_{1}b_{2}c_{2}+2\lambda_{2}a_{2}c_{2}+4\lambda_{3}a_{2}b_{2}=6a_{1}b_{1}c_{1}$$
where the ##\lambda##'s are from ##a_{2}^{2}\lambda=a_{1}^{3}##.

Just saw the part about divisibility. Going at it again!

Last edited:
DeadOriginal said:
We have
$$
\frac{(a_{1}b_{2}c_{2})^{3}+2(b_{1}a_{2}c_{2})^{3}+4(c_{1}a_{2}b_{2})^{3}}{(a_{2}b_{2}c_{2})^{2}}=6a_{1}b_{1}c_{1}.
$$
Since ##a_{1},b_{1},c_{1}## are integers, ##6a_{1}b_{1}c_{1}## must also be an integer. Hence our left hand side must be an integer. Then
$$
(a_{1}b_{2}c_{2})^{3}+2(b_{1}a_{2}c_{2})^{3}+4(c_{1}a_{2}b_{2})^{3}=6a_{1}b_{1}c_{1}(a_{2}b_{2}c_{2})^{2}
$$
so
##a_{2}^{2}## divides ##(a_{1}b_{2}c_{2})^{3}+2(b_{1}a_{2}c_{2})^{3}+4(c_{1}a_{2}b_{2})^{3}## and similarly for ##b_{2},c_{2}##. I deduce that
##a_{2}^{2}## divides ##a_{1}^{3} ,b_{2}^{2}## divides ##b_{1}^{3}, c_{2}^{2}## divides ##c_{1}^{3}##.

I worked a little ahead of that but it didn't seem to get anywhere because I ended up with something like
$$
\lambda_{1}(b_{2}c_{2})^{3}+2\lambda_{2}(a_{2}c_{2})^{3}+4\lambda_{3}(a_{2}b_{2})^{3}=6a_{1}b_{1}c_{1}$$
where the ##\lambda##'s are from ##a_{2}^{2}\lambda=a_{1}^{3}##.

I'm not sure where you are going here. Maybe you are concentrating more on the TeX than the problem. I meant you can write a=d/n, b=e/n and c=f/n with d, e, f and n integers. Doesn't that mean d^3+2e^3+4f^3-6def=0? So your original equation must also have an integer solution if it has a rational solution.

Last edited:
I end up being able to show that all three integers are even. I am not sure how to proceed from there. After putting all a,b,c in the form 2a,2b,2c, the equation doesn't seem to be changing to anything useable.

It does seem to me that no matter how I manipulate this function with the divisibility of 2, the integers still always seems to be divisible by 2. Can we use that in any way with the fact that any even integer has to become odd sooner or later after being divided by 2 over and over again?

**Edit: I answered my own question.. 0 is an integer that this doesn't work for.

Ok. Here is something else I tried to do.
We have that 2 divides a so for some ##\alpha## we have ##2\alpha=a##. Hence ##a^{3}=(2\alpha)^{3}## but since ##(2\alpha)^{3}## is even we can write this as ##2d##. Hence we have
$$
2d+2b^{3}+4c^{3}-6\sqrt[3]{2a}bc=0.
$$
I was able to show that each of a,b,c are even so repeating the same process as with a, we come to an equation like
$$
2d+2e+2f-\frac{3}{2}\sqrt[3]{def}=0.
$$

DeadOriginal said:
I end up being able to show that all three integers are even. I am not sure how to proceed from there. After putting all a,b,c in the form 2a,2b,2c, the equation doesn't seem to be changing to anything useable.

It does seem to me that no matter how I manipulate this function with the divisibility of 2, the integers still always seems to be divisible by 2. Can we use that in any way with the fact that any even integer has to become odd sooner or later after being divided by 2 over and over again?

**Edit: I answered my own question.. 0 is an integer that this doesn't work for.

You've got it! If a,b,c is a solution then they are all even integers. And if a,b,c is a solution, then so is a/2,b/2,c/2. Put that together with your observation about dividing by 2 over and over again. It's going to create a contradiction unless a=b=c=0.

Last edited:
Ahh! Thank you! This is very interesting.

1. What is a rational solution?

A rational solution is a number that can be expressed as a ratio of two integers, where the denominator is not equal to zero.

2. Why is it important to show that there are no rational solutions for an equation?

It is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the equation and its solutions. It also allows us to determine if the equation is solvable using only rational numbers or if it requires the use of irrational numbers.

3. How can we prove that there are no rational solutions for an equation?

One way to prove this is by using the Rational Roots Theorem, which states that if a polynomial equation has rational solutions, then those solutions must be a ratio of the factors of the constant term over the factors of the leading coefficient. By checking all possible combinations of these factors, we can determine if there are any rational solutions or not.

4. Can an equation have no solutions at all?

Yes, it is possible for an equation to have no solutions at all. This means that there are no values for the variable that make the equation true. In the case of showing that there are no rational solutions, it means that the equation has no rational solutions, but it may have irrational solutions.

5. Are there any other methods for proving that there are no rational solutions for an equation?

Yes, there are other methods such as using the Rational Zeros Theorem, which states that if a polynomial equation has rational solutions, then those solutions must be a factor of the constant term over a factor of the leading coefficient. We can also use algebraic manipulation and substitution to show that the equation has no rational solutions.