Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Trying to study the major constellations

1. Dec 6, 2016 #1
    I sometimes find it difficult to visualize the proper positions of constellations in the sky. It depends on so many factors, such as the time of year, the time of day, and the specific location on Earth.
    With that said, I would really like to find a downloadable or online interactive planetarium that places the user in outer space right at the center of where the Earth would be, thus allowing the user to look in all directions in all three dimensions without having to worry about the Earth's position. Can anyone recommend a program like this?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2016 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi
    welcome to PF :smile:

Stellarium is one that I and 1000's of others use

http://www.stellarium.org/

cheers
    Dave

4. Dec 7, 2016 #3
    Great, thank you!

5. Dec 7, 2016 #4
    Downloaded it today. This is absolutely awesome. Exactly what I was looking for. As a frame of reference, would it be better to use the ecliptic grids or the celestial equator-based grids? Do astronomers talk in terms of hours (right ascension) or degrees?

6. Dec 7, 2016 #5

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

for RA = Hrs Min Sec
    for DEC = Deg Min Sec

7. Dec 7, 2016 #6

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You normally want the equatorial grid. Practically all stellar databases use it, and/because it is the natural choice for earth-based telescope observations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted