Trying to teach myself equations

• Thread starter Vincent Vega
  • Start date
In summary, to solve equations with only letters, use the "golden rule of equations" which states that whatever you do to one side of an equation, do exactly the same thing to the other side. Use the distributive property of multiplication to factor out the variable and then isolate it by performing inverse operations. This can be done by adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing both sides of the equation. Be sure to follow the order of operations and keep track of any changes made to both sides of the equation.
Vincent Vega
I'm trying to teach myself equations and I'm stuck on equations with just letters. I can easily solve for x with: [tex] 34 - 10x = 6x + 2 [/tex]

x=2

I'm having trouble with:
[tex] ax = bx + c [/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How did you arrive at the conclusion x=2 in your example?

I subtracted 2 from each side using the "golden rule of equations"
Whatever you do to one side of an equation, do exactly the same thing to the other side.

That gave [tex] 32 - 10x = 6x [/tex]

then [tex] 32 - 10x + 10x =6x + 10x [/tex]

This LaTeX is giving me some trouble here, bare with me.
thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Vincent Vega said:
I subtracted 2 from each side using the "golden rule of equations" .

I think you have the concept down perfectly. Now can you apply what you did with that equation to the other one

ax = bx + c ?

then [tex]\frac{32} {16}[/tex] [tex]\frac{16x} {16}[/tex] x=2

Move ax and bx to the same side of the equation by subtracting bx from both sides:

ax - bx = c

Factor out the x on the left:

(a - b) x = c

Divide both sides by (a-b):

x = c / (a-b)

You already know how to do algebra! The fact that they're letters instead of numbers changes nothing.

- Warren

I know where you're coming from though with the letters and all. However, in pre calc we use ALOT of problems with letters instead of numbers to find other formulas.

Thanks for the help!

When chroot factored out the [tex]x[/tex] on the left, what rule/ property/operations did he use to achieve that (and when to use parenthesis ( ).. )? My book never showed me examples or really explained why or how to do that.(atleast from what I read)

All I know is:
Postualates of equality/operations

Also, I know there can be several ways to work out an equation, but where do you people usually start to break down these problems when solving for x.

I usually do it the wrong way before I get it the right way. I know there are no shortcuts to learning but I'm just wondering if I overlooked something here.

I just used the distributive property of multiplication.

(a-b)*x = ax - bx.

- Warren

distributive property of multiplication. Ha, thanks

Got it?

- Warren

chroot said:
Got it?

- Warren

I need to search around for more practice equations until it comes natural to me.

My question is what does the / stand for in the answer ... divide?

b + ax = c
b - b + ax = c - b
ax = (c - b)

What are we doing to both sides to isolate the x on that last line? I got the answer only because I saw a pattern, but I'm unsure how I got it. What let me isolate x by moving a to the other side of the problem?

x = (c - b)/a

Last edited:
Vincent Vega said:
b + ax = c
b - b + ax = c - b
ax = (c - b)

What are we doing to both sides to isolate the x on that last line? I got the answer only because I saw a pattern, but I'm unsure how I got it. What let me isolate x by moving a to the other side of the problem?

x = (c - b)/a

Think of it like this; You divided both sides by [itex]a[/itex]. You could add an extra step between the penultimate and final line if you like;

[tex]ax = (c-b)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{ax}{a} = \frac{(c-b)}{a} \Rightarrow \frac{\not{a}x}{\not{a}} = \frac{(c-b)}{a} [/tex]

[tex]x = \frac{(c-b)}{a}[/tex]

You can do this because you did the same thing to both sides, i.e. divided both sides by a. You can do anything to can equation as long as you do it to both sides of the equals sign. :smile:

Yes , thanks for showing me that, I understand them now.
However, when I look at this problem I want to try using the d first on both sides... Is there something you see in the equation that tells you to use b first. Because while using d I came to this

ax - b = cx + d

ax- b - d = cx + d - d

ax - (b - d) = cx

ax - ax - (b - d) = cx - ax

[tex]
\frac{-(b - d)}{c - a} [/tex][tex]
\frac{cx - ax}{c - a}
[/tex]

-(b - d)/(c-a) = x .... what does the -(b - d) part equal? Is it (b + d)?

Last edited:
Then I tried the b first:

ax - b = cx + d

ax - b + b = cx + d + b

ax = cx + (d + b)

ax - cx = cx - cx + (d + b)

[tex]
\frac{ax - cx}{a - c}[/tex][tex]
\frac{(d+b)}{a-c}
[/tex]

x= (d+b)/(a-c)

Vincent Vega said:
ax- b - d = cx + d - d

ax - (b - d) = cx
That step is incorrect:
-b-d =/= -(b-d)

A simpler way of doing to would be to move the cx over to the left first. Then the b over to the right. Then factorise;

[tex]ax - b = cx + d[/tex]

Add b to both sides and subtract cx from both sides

[tex]ax - cx = d + b[/tex]

Factorise x;

[tex]x(a - c) = d + b[/tex]

Divide both sides by the bracket;

[tex]x = \frac{d+b}{a-c}[/tex]

To answer your earlier question;
what does the -(b - d) part equal? Is it (b + d)?
No [itex]-(b-d) = d-b[/itex]. You have made an error in your first attempt.

This step

[tex] \frac{ax - cx}{a - c}= \frac{(d+b)}{a-c}[/tex]
[tex]x= \frac{(d+b)}{a-c}[/tex]

Is not correct because

[tex]\frac{ax - cx}{a - c} \not{=} x[/tex]

[Edit] Libertine got there before me :smile:[/Edit]

Ok, I've been doing them fairly good now using th distributive property of multiplication chroot showed me. I did these correct I presume?

10 + 5x = 100 - 4x

(4 + 5)x = 100 - 10

[tex] \frac{9x}{9}= \frac{90}{9}[/tex]

x=10

--------------------------------------
10 + 5x = 100 - 4x

10 - 10 + 5x = 100 - 10 - 4x

5x = 90 - 4x

5x + 4x = 90

[tex] \frac{9x}{9}= \frac{90}{9}[/tex]

x=10

Thanks for taking the time with me.

cheers everyone

Looks like you've got it, Vincent Vega.

I assume you understand the objections raised by Hootenanny and Libertine in the last few posts?

- Warren

chroot said:
Looks like you've got it, Vincent Vega.

I assume you understand the objections raised by Hootenanny and Libertine in the last few posts?

- Warren

Yes. Much love guys. I'm on negative numbers and integers which seems to be flowing now, hopefully.

________
"Never be first; try to be second" __ Enrico Fermi

1. What are the basic types of equations I should know?

There are four main types of equations: linear, quadratic, polynomial, and exponential. These equations involve different types of variables and have different methods for solving them.

2. How do I know which method to use for solving an equation?

The method for solving an equation depends on its type. For linear equations, you can use the addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division property. Quadratic equations typically require factoring or using the quadratic formula. Polynomial equations can be solved by factoring or using the rational roots theorem. Exponential equations use logarithms to solve for the variable.

3. What are some tips for understanding equations?

One tip is to practice solving equations regularly to become familiar with the different types and methods. It's also helpful to break down the equation into smaller, manageable parts and to understand the properties and rules of algebra. Additionally, using real-life examples and applications of equations can aid in understanding their purpose and relevance.

4. How can I check my answer to make sure it is correct?

You can check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation and solving to see if it satisfies the equation. Another way is to use a graphing calculator to plot the equation and your answer and see if they intersect at the same point.

5. Are there any common mistakes to watch out for when solving equations?

Some common mistakes include forgetting to apply the distributive property, making errors when simplifying fractions or radicals, and forgetting to change the sign when multiplying or dividing by a negative number. It's important to double-check your work and be mindful of these potential mistakes.