Trying to understand colloids microscopically and macroscopically

• Thread starter neu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Colloids
In summary, colloids are suspensions of nanoparticles in a liquid that do not settle out. They are important for measuring microscopic effects using macroscopic methods such as rheology and light microscopy. They have various applications, such as in measuring BTEX compounds and in quantum dot technology.
neu
I've been reading a little about this rather new subject (to me), and I'm quite confused.

I understand that a colliod is broadly dfined as a substance consisting of a dispersive phase, ie very finely ground gold dust, in a continuous phase, ie water.

I'm informed that colliods are especially important for macroscopic measurement of microscopic effects (whatever that means). Could anyone provide an insight, or a good source of information on this topic?

I apologise for the lazy post, but as you can see my knowledge is rather limited. I'm a 3rd year physics student and I've never heard of this field of study.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
they're probably a good way to see Brownian motion

There, I suggest any undergraduate book on "general" chemistry, those books usually have a few pages devoted to colloids.

a colloid is a suspension of nanoparticles in a liquid that doesn't settle out

colloidal particles lie between 1 to 100 nanometer. they can be seen only under ultra microscope

I believe the upper size limit is a micron (1000 nanometers).

a colloidal solution or a colloid is transluscent and causes the tyndell effect, an effect seen when light is dispersed through the canopy of a forest.
an example for a colloidal sol. is milk.

"I'm informed that colliods are especially important for macroscopic measurement of microscopic effects (whatever that means). Could anyone provide an insight, or a good source of information on this topic?"

It can prove quite difficult to measure microscopic properties of some colloidal systems, but macroscopic measurements such as rheology or light microscopy (crossed polarised light) can be used to infer molecular and sub molecular behaviour.

thearny said:
"I'm informed that colliods are especially important for macroscopic measurement of microscopic effects (whatever that means).

say for example one person dies, the whole world mourns.:eek:

If i am wrong please correct me

neu said:
I'm informed that colliods are especially important for macroscopic measurement of microscopic effects (whatever that means). Could anyone provide an insight, or a good source of information on this topic?

The only experience I have in this field is the measurement of BTEX compounds (Benzene, Toluene, Ethylbenzene, Xylene) using colloidal cadmium sulfide particles. The unexposed particles fluoresce with a color characteristic of the band gap of the CdS particle. The fluorescence is attenuated, by quenching, when BTEX compounds are present in extremely low concentrations. Here the measurement of a microscopic binding event is measured macroscopically. These are often referred to as 'quantum dots'. Immunolabelling of these dots will cause a change in fluorescence when the antibody-modified quantum dot binds to an antigen.

1. What is a colloid?

A colloid is a type of mixture where small particles, usually between 1-1000 nanometers in size, are dispersed throughout a continuous medium. The particles in a colloid can be solid, liquid, or gas, and they remain evenly distributed throughout the medium due to their small size and the constant movement of molecules in the medium.

2. How do colloids behave differently from other mixtures?

Colloids exhibit unique properties that distinguish them from other mixtures. One of the most noticeable differences is their ability to scatter light, giving them a cloudy or milky appearance. They also do not settle over time, unlike suspensions, where the particles eventually separate from the medium.

3. What are the applications of colloids?

Colloids have a wide range of applications in various fields, including food science, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, and materials science. They are used to stabilize emulsions, create foams, and control the rheology of fluids. Colloids also play a crucial role in biological systems, such as the transport of nutrients and waste in the body.

4. How can colloids be characterized microscopically?

Colloids can be characterized microscopically through techniques such as transmission electron microscopy, scanning electron microscopy, and atomic force microscopy. These methods allow for the visualization of the size, shape, and distribution of particles in a colloid, providing valuable information about its properties and behavior.

5. What are the challenges in understanding colloids both microscopically and macroscopically?

One of the main challenges in understanding colloids is the complex and dynamic nature of these systems. The behavior of colloids is affected by various factors, such as particle size, shape, surface chemistry, and the properties of the medium. Additionally, the interactions between individual particles and their collective behavior can be challenging to predict and model accurately.