What Does Calculating the Limit of f(x) as x Approaches a Specific Value Reveal?

• Thread starter Swetasuria
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary: What this means is that you can get as close as you like to x=a just by making sure you're within a certain distance, δ, of a. That part, |x-a| < δ, is called the δ-neighborhood of a.And if you're in that δ-neighborhood of a, then f(x) will be within ε of L. And that's the key to what the limit is: it's the value that you get closer and closer to as you get closer and closer to a.In summary, the concept of limits is about finding the value that a function approaches as the input gets closer and closer to a specific value. It allows us to analyze the behavior of a function at a specific point
Swetasuria

Homework Statement

lim(x+3)=?
x→3

Homework Equations

Substituting x=3, I think.

The Attempt at a Solution

lim(x+3)= 3+3= 6
x→3

So we have got this straight lined graph, f(x)=x+3, and the answer I got shows... what exactly?

Physics news on Phys.org
Swetasuria said:

Homework Statement

lim(x+3)=?
x→3

Homework Equations

lim(x+3)= 3+3= 6
x→3

So we have got this straight lined graph, f(x)=x+3, and the answer I got shows... what exactly?
Your answer is correct. The problem is extremely simple, so it doesn't really show much about the power of limits. What this is saying is that if x is some value close to 3, then x + 3 will be close to 6.

Here's an example that is more informative.

$$ \lim_{x \to 3} \frac{x^2 - 9}{x - 3}$$

If you simply substitute 3 for x as you did in the problem you posted, you will get 0/0, which is not defined. Even so, the limit above actually exists, and is the same number as in your problem, 6.

Exam problems are usually 0/0, ∞/∞, 1, 0, ∞0 which you can't just simply plug and chug.:devil:

Swetasuria said:

Homework Statement

lim(x+3)=?
x→3

Homework Equations

lim(x+3)= 3+3= 6
x→3

I agree, lim x->3 of x+3 really isn't very fun or useful...
The power of limits lies in places, like Mark44 said, where you cannot simply substitute in some value.

The limit is 'kind of' the answer you would expect to get if you nudge yourself infinitely close to a point.
Take the function f(x) = x if x≠2 and x=0 if x=2.

What is the limit of f(x) as x->2?
Plugging in x=2 gives us f(2) which is 0. The limit is, however, 2.
Another common example is limit as x->0 of Sin(x)/x, which happens to be 1 but it's not so obvious from just looking at it, and just plugging in x=0 gives you the lovely, undefined 0/0.

The most common definition given for the limiting process is this;
The limit of f(x) as x goes to a is L if;
For any given ε>0 I can find a δ>0 such that whenever |x-a| < δ then |f(x) - L| < ε

Related to What Does Calculating the Limit of f(x) as x Approaches a Specific Value Reveal?

What are limits in scientific research?

Limits in scientific research refer to the boundaries or constraints within which a study or experiment is conducted. These limits can include factors such as time, resources, sample size, and ethical considerations.

Why is it important to understand limits in scientific research?

Understanding limits in scientific research is crucial because it helps to ensure the validity and reliability of the results. By acknowledging and accounting for the limits, researchers can accurately interpret the findings and draw meaningful conclusions.

How can researchers determine the limits of their study?

Researchers can determine the limits of their study by carefully considering the research question, the scope of the study, and any potential confounding variables. It is also important to review previous research and consult with experts in the field.

What are some common challenges in trying to understand limits in scientific research?

Some common challenges in trying to understand limits in scientific research include balancing the desire for comprehensive results with the practical constraints of time and resources, dealing with unexpected variables or outcomes, and navigating ethical considerations.

How can scientists overcome the limits in their research?

Scientists can overcome the limits in their research by being transparent about the limitations and potential biases of their study. They can also collaborate with other researchers and utilize advanced statistical techniques to make the most of the available data.