Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tube Radius and water height

1. Jul 28, 2006 #1
    if i put two pipes in atank of some liquid and fill it up, will the height of the liquid be different in the pipes if the radios will be different?
    if not how can i create asituation so the height of the liquid will be different?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2006 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Radios?!!

Zz.

4. Jul 28, 2006 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think the OP means "radius" or "radii".

Yes, the height of rise is a function (it varies inversely) of the radius of the pipe. However, note that there will be no noticeable rise if the radius is more than a centimeter or so, for a typical liquid. To see a significant height difference you should use capillary tubes (not pipes) with radii that are in the mm range.

5. Jul 28, 2006 #4
    thanks you were right it was radius:)

6. Jul 28, 2006 #5
    I think he means "televisions"

7. Jul 28, 2006 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

[Assuming I understand your question...] You can't. Pressure is what determines the height of the water in the two pipes. As long as they are connected to a static system, they will have the same pressure at the same height - ie, exactly the same as the height of the water in the tank next to them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?