Tubular Column Moment of Inertia

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
SALMAN22
Messages
12
Reaction score
2
Can anyone explain why the moment of inertia for a tubular column in that textbook is like so? (take a look at the attachments). It should be (I = MR^2), as far as I know.
 
Attachments
  • IMG_20201125_183350.jpg
    IMG_20201125_183350.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_20201125_183426.jpg
    IMG_20201125_183426.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 220
Physics news on Phys.org
I think they are assuming the material has uniform mass density. So the mass is proportional to the area but then they are off by factor of 2.
 
hutchphd said:
I think they are assuming the material has uniform mass density. So the mass is proportional to the area but then they are off by factor of 2.
Can you derive it?
 
hutchphd said:
but then they are off by factor of 2.
For polar area moment of inertia, yes, but for Ix , or Iy, the approximation should be as given.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: hutchphd
SALMAN22 said:
Can you derive it?
For a ring,
Ix = Iy =( π/4 ) ( r24 - r14 )

For a thin ring of small thickness t, r Ξ r2 Ξ r1, but r2 = r1 +t.

Substitute into the formula for the ring, process, and eliminate all elements where t has an exponent.

Edit - corrected the formula for a ring
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: hutchphd