Looking for a book on turbulent modeling: Any recommendations?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a book on turbulent modeling for external flow, with a recommendation for Fox & McDonald's book on fluid dynamics. The speaker also mentions learning to simulate in Fluent and wanting to find theory for the models used in the software. They also ask for suggestions on a book for heat transfer, with the professor recommending Jack Holman's book. The speaker also mentions "Turbulent Flows" by Pope as a classic book on the topic.
ank_gl
I need a book to study the theory for turbulent modeling for external flow. So far I used Fox & McDonald for fluid dynamics, it has turbulent modeling for pipe flow. I learned to simulate it in fluent & learned a lot more in its tutorials(though i didn't know the theory part:biggrin::redface:), I was trying to find some theory for the models fluent have, like k epsilon, k omega etc etc. Can anyone suggest some book?
Also I will be taking heat transfer this semester, professor has suggested Jack Holman, is it good??

Engineering news on Phys.org
Turbulent flows by Pope is kinda of a classic
Fox should give you the proper background for it.

1. What is turbulent modeling?

Turbulent modeling is a mathematical and computational approach used to simulate and study turbulent flows in fluids, such as air or water. It involves creating a model that describes the behavior of turbulent flows, which are characterized by chaotic, irregular, and unpredictable motion.

2. How is turbulent modeling used?

Turbulent modeling is used in various fields, including engineering, environmental science, and meteorology. It helps researchers and engineers understand and predict the behavior of turbulent flows, which is crucial for designing and optimizing systems and structures that interact with fluids.

3. What are the different types of turbulent models?

There are several types of turbulent models, including Reynolds-Averaged Navier-Stokes (RANS) models, Large Eddy Simulation (LES) models, and Direct Numerical Simulation (DNS) models. Each type has its own strengths and limitations, and the choice of model depends on the specific application and the desired level of accuracy.

4. How are turbulent models validated?

Turbulent models are validated by comparing their predictions to experimental or numerical data from real-world turbulent flows. The accuracy of a model can be evaluated by analyzing key flow properties, such as velocity, pressure, and energy dissipation, and comparing them to the corresponding data points.

5. What are the challenges of turbulent modeling?

Turbulent modeling is a complex and challenging field, as it involves solving highly nonlinear equations and dealing with a wide range of length and time scales. The accuracy and reliability of turbulent models also depend on various factors, such as the choice of model, the quality of data, and the assumptions made during the modeling process.