Calculating Force for Two Boxes Dragged on a Frictionless Surface

• Thread starter PinguNinjitsu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the boxes and ropes combined have a mass of 1.19 kg which is multiplied by the acceleration of 1.19 m/s2 to find the force.
PinguNinjitsu

Homework Statement

Two 103 kg boxes are dragged along a fric-
tionless surface with a constant acceleration
of 1.19 m/s2, as shown in the figure.
Each rope has a mass of 1.03 kg.

m8e8ls.jpg

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I wasn't sure where to go with this problem. I am mostly just wondering if the weight of the rope matters at all. I don't think I have ever come across a problem where the rope had a weight. Also just to make sure I'm thinking this through the right way, if the weight of the rope doesn't matter I would just act as the masses as one and then from the force from there? I'm not sure if that is right, I haven't been in a Physics class in 2 or 3 years so I'm a little rusty. Any help would be great! Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
PinguNinjitsu said:

Homework Statement

Two 103 kg boxes are dragged along a fric-
tionless surface with a constant acceleration
of 1.19 m/s2, as shown in the figure.
Each rope has a mass of 1.03 kg.

m8e8ls.jpg

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I wasn't sure where to go with this problem. I am mostly just wondering if the weight of the rope matters at all. I don't think I have ever come across a problem where the rope had a weight. Also just to make sure I'm thinking this through the right way, if the weight of the rope doesn't matter I would just act as the masses as one and then from the force from there? I'm not sure if that is right, I haven't been in a Physics class in 2 or 3 years so I'm a little rusty. Any help would be great! Thanks
Well, if you are accelerating the rope along with the boxes, yes, its mass will matter (not weight, mass because this is horizontal motion and gravity doesn't enter into it). Just add all masses, both boxes and ropes, together and multiply by the acceleration: F= ma.

Hello.

Try to think of the boxes as one. Combine the masses since there is no friction.
Think of it as one mass.

WOW! that reply came just as i wrote mine. haha

Thank you! Thats what I was thinking I was supposed to do, just wanted to make sure!

What is the equation for finding the force of two boxes being dragged?

The equation for finding the force of two boxes being dragged is F = m1a1 + m2a2, where m1 and m2 are the masses of the boxes and a1 and a2 are the accelerations of the boxes.

How do you calculate the force of two boxes being dragged at different speeds?

To calculate the force of two boxes being dragged at different speeds, you will need to use the equation F = m1a1 + m2a2. Make sure to use the correct accelerations for each box based on their individual speeds.

Can the force of two boxes being dragged be negative?

No, the force of two boxes being dragged cannot be negative. Force is a vector quantity and therefore has both magnitude and direction. However, if one box is being dragged in the opposite direction of the other box, one of the forces will be negative while the other will be positive, resulting in a net force of zero.

What is the relationship between the mass of the boxes and the force required to drag them?

The relationship between the mass of the boxes and the force required to drag them is directly proportional. This means that as the mass of the boxes increases, the force required to drag them also increases.

Can two boxes of different masses have the same force when being dragged?

Yes, two boxes of different masses can have the same force when being dragged if they have the same acceleration. This can occur if one box has a much larger mass than the other but is being dragged at a higher speed, resulting in the same force being applied to both boxes.